• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arrest after CCTV of bike thrown on live rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintonian

Established Member
Arrest after CCTV of bike thrown on live rail
A man is seen on CCTV fleeing the train station with two other people

A man has been arrested after dramatic CCTV footage was issued showing a bicycle being thrown on to live railway lines in Hampshire.

Sparks were sent flying when the bike was pushed on to the tracks at Woolston station in Southampton.

A man is then seen to flee along with two other people on Friday evening.

British Transport Police said a 24-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of endangering safety and he remains in custody.

BBC

The trouble is Woolston is full of prats like this :(

Edit I ment Woolston

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hydro

Established Member
So is Southampton. Nice bit of overtime for the Eastleigh boys I think.

Oracle

Established Member
Local radio suggested that they were 'about 18'! CCTV showed them sitting and drinkingf at the station, then the bike went onto the track causing an (quote) 'explosion' with sparks spreading onto the platform. The running rail was damaged as a conequence. This was crass idiocy and supposedly happened just before a train was due. The maximum penalty is life imprisonment.

wintonian

Established Member
I'm guessing it was the 17:23 Portsmouth Harbour - Cardiff as the incident would have happened at about 18:00.

Hydro

Established Member
The running rail was damaged as a conequence.

I've attended a few incidents involving conductor rail explosions, almost always caused by something bridging the gap between juice and running rail. The heat generated generally melts parts of the running rail and severely weakens the structure of it. The ballast around the flash up vitrifies and leaves sparkling glass like dust and granules. In almost all cases it's an Emergency Speed Restriction, rail clamped up to hold it together in case it breaks or fractures, and the rail comes out withing 36 hours. There is a real risk that the running rail has been severely weakened.

tinselworm

I've attended a few incidents involving conductor rail explosions, almost always caused by something bridging the gap between juice and running rail. The heat generated generally melts parts of the running rail and severely weakens the structure of it. The ballast around the flash up vitrifies and leaves sparkling glass like dust and granules. In almost all cases it's an Emergency Speed Restriction, rail clamped up to hold it together in case it breaks or fractures, and the rail comes out withing 36 hours. There is a real risk that the running rail has been severely weakened.

we have the same at work on our electric floor go kart track, when theres a connection that shouldn't be, it melts a small circle of floor!

Status
Not open for further replies.