• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Trainee Drivers and Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlejo

Sounds like they will be doing the managers interview first! You will be asked questions like what do you know about ATW? Why do you want to be a driver? How would you cope with a fatality etc? Im sure theres lots more info on here about the managers interview. Can i ask are you from wales? Im from the midlands but still at shortlisting stage.

Yes I'm from Wales, about 12 mile from Cardiff

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrewm

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I was looking for info on the trainee driver jobs.

I've still not heard anything about driver assesment/interview. Has anybody been given a no yet? I see some people have been given an interview date. I applied for Cardiff/Valley lines trainee driver. I have had a no for the trainee conductor. I also applied for a position as a station cleaner in December and thats still in shortlisting. HR told me that over 200 people applied for the cleaning job,so it's still in shortlisting at the moment. Seems to be taking a long time,seeing as a lot more people applied for the conductor jobs and thats been shortlisted.

loplop

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice not to give up hope - I just got an invite to an assessment centre for the conductor job. Now to start studying!

playmore64

Well done loplop:D

Funny thing is I found the Conductors Assessment a lot tougher than the Drivers Assessment.

I found the SCAAT Test very challenging even though I got a grade B, but I got a C on literacy which failed me, damn you literacy<D

All in all good luck!

jade01

Congrats where is your assessment being held, I applied for Cardiff/Valley lines. :D

loplop

Shrewsbury, Jade01, howabout yours?

Playmore64, thanks although bit worried about your comments about the assessment! I know the hard work starts here and I know it will be really tough to get through, just have to keep practicing I guess.

Smiler

Has anyone who applied for the conductor role based in Crewe heard anything ? I seem to remember that when the job was advertised it said interviews week commencing 18th March, so I'm still hoping to hear something positive....

elbee

Thanks

I've had an email today and basically it says that it's an interview with 2 members of staff, one from HR and one from driver management function...... any pointers as to what they'll be asking.
Thanks is advance

ps..... interview wil be 45 mins to 1 hour

Again good luck for next week, my status still says shortlisting but I have not been fortunate enough to get a phonecall. I will remain optimistic for now. I would be interested to know what they ask you in the interview next week if you feel you can divulge this information with the forum, so if I am ever going to get an invite to interview I can prepare as best I can. Good Luck.

choo~choo

Again good luck for next week, my status still says shortlisting but I have not been fortunate enough to get a phonecall. I will remain optimistic for now. I would be interested to know what they ask you in the interview next week if you feel you can divulge this information with the forum, so if I am ever going to get an invite to interview I can prepare as best I can. Good Luck.

Even successful candidates are still showing sifting. :)

andrewm

I had an email today telling me thanks but no thanks for the trainee driver job.

dlball

I`ve just got an e-mail saying unsuccessful after shortlisting for the valley lines. Too many applications to receive feedback. Bummer

carlejo

Thanks very much i'll see what I can remember..... I'll be nervous as hell as I haven't had an interview for quite some time:roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I had an email today telling me thanks but no thanks for the trainee driver job.

I've just got an e-mail saying unsuccessful after shortlisting for the valley lines. Too many applications to receive feedback. Bummer

I'm so sorry guys, don't give up, keep trying

Smiler

Finally received the rejection email...oh well just got to persevere with these jobs I guess and not be too down-hearted. Good luck to those who have heard positive news.

carlejo

Only update I have is that I'm on hold for trainee driver.

May course starting in a few weeks and I was hoping to be on in it.
I've just got to be patient.
cheers
Carlejo

Only update I have is that I'm on hold for trainee driver.

May course starting in a few weeks and I was hoping to be on in it.
I've just got to be patient.
cheers
Carlejo

I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm but I've been on hold since 2008...

I don't want to seem to be unkind, but if it was me, I would have thought I'd have no chance....... no-one keeps you on a waiting list for 5 years

You're wrong I'm afraid. I'm a guard for ATW and there are two of us (it was three but one has since moved on) who passed all the driving assessments in 2008, we even had the medical, but were then told the vacancies were no longer available and we were put on hold. Since then ATW have only been appointing qualified drivers, until of course the recent trainee positions were advertised, but none of those were anywhere near where we live. The other lad applied for one of these positions but again ATW are not willing to take the chance that once qualified you look to up sticks back to a depot nearer to your home. There is a growing realisation that TOCS are not keen to appoint guards to driving positions as basically they're having to pay to train two people instead of one. RMT have voiced their concerns about this on behalf of the guards so hopefully we'll see some movement soon.

I have since passed all the assessments again with LM (I did the reaction tests last week) and am waiting to hear from them so I may get in that way.

carlejo

You're wrong I'm afraid. I'm a guard for ATW and there are two of us (it was three but one has since moved on) who passed all the driving assessments in 2008, we even had the medical, but were then told the vacancies were no longer available and we were put on hold. Since then ATW have only been appointing qualified drivers, until of course the recent trainee positions were advertised, but none of those were anywhere near where we live. The other lad applied for one of these positions but again ATW are not willing to take the chance that once qualified you look to up sticks back to a depot nearer to your home. There is a growing realisation that TOCS are not keen to appoint guards to driving positions as basically they're having to pay to train two people instead of one. RMT have voiced their concerns about this on behalf of the guards so hopefully we'll see some movement soon.

I have since passed all the assessments again with LM (I did the reaction tests last week) and am waiting to hear from them so I may get in that way.

Where do you live ?
Why not relocate then if it's what you want as you already work for ATW, if you're on the list and have been for years, surely they'll pick you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.