• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Australian fails to mind gap; passengers and staff push train to free him

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
A warning, picture is not for the squemish
A MAN had to be freed after getting trapped between a train and platform at a Perth station this morning.

The commuter’s leg got stuck at Stirling Station about 8.50am causing a delay for the city-bound train.

Nicolas Taylor said he and fellow passengers got off the train and worked together to free the man by pushing against the carriage away from the platform.

The train moved on its suspension enough for the man to get out from the sticky situation.

“He was walking so he was reasonably OK,” Mr Taylor said.

“He seemed to be a bit sheepish, because right where he fell was the ‘mind the gap’ writing.”

Mr Taylor said Transperth staff coordinated the incident well with it only taking about 10 minutes.

“They did a really good job, they took control and handled it well,” he said.

“When I first saw it I thought we’d be there for hours.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Bit more in the mail
Lucky didn't do more injury rocking it

That would be my worry. The fire service would have hydraulic jacks that they may have been able to get between the train and platform which would have moved the carriage without allowing it to rock back.

Still, it worked. Fair play to whoever suggested it and to the passengers for helping out. I'm amazed he managed to slip through such a small gap!

DownSouth

Established Member
Going by the build quality issues we've had with the similar Bombardier EMUs ordered for Adelaide, there's no way I'd be pushing on the windows of a TransPerth B-Series.

ian959

That is because they did not "rock" the train. It was simply pushed and held. I would suspect that is why the staff on the ground suggested doing this, because the chances of causing injury were very low.

How the guy managed to fall into the gap is still a mystery as I know the gaps at Stirling station are quite small.

Status
Not open for further replies.