• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Bookings and Reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsonlyme

Yesterday booked off-Peak day return from Crewe to Stockport with Senior railcard for Saturday 20 June leaving 09:11. Purchased ticket without problem but with no reservation. In was under the impression that reservations were essential for Avanti services, but with no reservation ,and the recent introduction of face masks to reduce social distancing problems, I presumed that reservaions were no longer esseential for this short journey. However, this morning I find that rerservations are still essential but Avanti web site says not available until Saturday 20 June. It also says timetable available from Friday 19 June.

Why do they accept a booking for a service that they are not sure will run, and why do they not tell me this at the time of booking. Why if a reservation is essential do they still take my money when they cannot offer one.

Their customer service starts at 08:30 and to get the reservation I will have to contact them by chat (probably with queue) to get the necessary info. Get to the station, collect tickets and board train all within 39 minutes.

How do i do all this in that time scale, or do I go early and get the Tfw train about 08:30 and hope I do not need a reservation and there is room on that train. Can find no way of contacting Tfw by phone to ask the question

Cannot travel by a train later than the 09:11

Advice please

Malcolm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
I don't think reservations are essential for Avanti West Coast, just "advised" (EDIT: as in "you're not required to have a reservation but if you don't and if the train is full you won't be allowed to use it", "full" being defined as full-under-social-distancing), but in any case you may want to follow their advice and email them: (https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/help-and-support/coronavirus-travel-information#faqs)

"Reservations can be made at the time of booking your journey on the Avanti West Coast website – simply select the service you would like to travel on. If you have a flexible ticket (Off-Peak, Anytime) or are a Season ticket holder, you can make a reservation by getting in touch here: [email protected]"

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Why do they accept a booking for a service that they are not sure will run, and why do they not tell me this at the time of booking.

The Avanti website now warns on the booking page as well as the Covid page about timetable changes.
Just to explain: unlike Advances, Offpeak Returns are not tied to specific trains, and therefore can be bought even if the timetable is not finalised - and refunded.
In normaln times this isn't much of a problem as you can buy on the day.

In this case, the operator is sure trains will run, but until the exact times are comfirmed on the national system, it can't be reserved.

BTW provided you haven't bought the Avanti Only fare, which is all of 10p cheaper (I won't comment!) you can use any operator's train.

itsonlyme

Thank you 30907and Trackman. I will try to sort out the reservation in the morning.

The reason I paid the extra 10p was just to cover if I was delayed heading for the return train and then having to hang around Stockport for up to an hour. I never thought I would be having a problem with the outward.

Status
Not open for further replies.