• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti seat picker & advance tickets

laseandre

Established Member
I just used the seat picker on Avanti's website to change seat reservations for two advance singles I have, and seemingly the system, in the background, refunded and repurchased my tickets with each seat change. Is this normal behaviour? I haven't seen it before with open tickets purchased through Avanti, and I was always of the mind that the ticket and the reservation are separate items, notwithstanding Avanti's insistence on reservations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I just used the seat picker on Avanti's website to change seat reservations for two advance singles I have, and seemingly the system, in the background, refunded and repurchased my tickets with each seat change. Is this normal behaviour? I haven't seen it before with open tickets purchased through Avanti, and I was always of the mind that the ticket and the reservation are separate items, notwithstanding Avanti's insistence on reservations.

Yes, that's how it works (and is why it only works when there is still quota available at that price level). A new ticket is grabbed at the same price level for the new seat, then the old one is released. It's a bit rubbish that Avanti actually refund and retake for it but that's what happens in the background at e.g. Trainsplit, it just doesn't hit your account.

For Advances, reservations aren't separate, they're core to the ticket and the quota it sits in.