• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast - actually speaking to someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Avanti's website is unreliable and various features that Virgin used to make available online now require a phone call. Expecting people to call in the 2020s to resolve basic queries is bad enough. Worse is for an advisor in India to say "sorry, I can't help, my computer's not working and I don't want to restart it because I finish work in 10 minutes" and abruptly hang up, to then hear the automated message "sorry, we can't take your call right now, but please send an email to [...]" when redialing (at 4pm on a weekday), and to never receive a reply to said email.

Is it actually possible to speak with someone at Avanti who can help, rather than fob off? The live chat feature on their website appears to have been removed and there is no telephone number in sight. The only place I can find a telephone number is in their Passenger Charter (0345 528 0253). On dialing this number, the first thing I am told is "If you need to speak to someone, there will be a significant wait before you get through to someone" (why - has two years not provided enough time to plan around Covid?). I am then kept on hold for over half a hour, then the call disconnects.

I'm relieved I no longer need to travel regularly and depend on this sh*tshow, as the amount of time I need to waste with ad hoc journeys doesn't leave me wanting more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The best option is to book with a different website even if using their services. If you like a seat selector try Trainsplit, or if you're not bothered there's a huge range to choose from.

I do agree with you that the need to use the telephone for any purpose in 2021 means the company has failed. But to be honest I consider Avanti West Coast to be one big 125mph failure, so it's not exactly out of keeping. A truly awful TOC.

142blue

On Moderation
If you are stuck come to the station as we have an internal line and in most instances they have been able to find a resolution and if it relates to ticket sales or amendment then can put a request in for a customer call back

Once the new TIS is in place we will be able to access online bookings which negates the need to call anyone if we can do it, see what you've booked, make changes, deal with refunds

Facing Back

If you are stuck come to the station as we have an internal line and in most instances they have been able to find a resolution and if it relates to ticket sales or amendment then can put a request in for a customer call back

Once the new TIS is in place we will be able to access online bookings which negates the need to call anyone if we can do it, see what you've booked, make changes, deal with refunds
Thank you

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The easiest way to avoid problems with bookings made via Avanti is to not book with Avanti ;)

Take your custom elsewhere, and book with a different retailer. I have heard from many on this forum that TrainSplit’s customer service is good.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The easiest way to avoid problems with bookings made via Avanti is to not book with Avanti ;)

Take your custom elsewhere, and book with a different retailer. I have heard from many on this forum that TrainSplit’s customer service is good.

Noting that if you specifically don't want split tickets, Trainscanbecheaper is the same booking engine and staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.