• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Bad by-laws"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilopylae

So, in Huffam v. The North Staffordshire Railway Company (1894.2 Q.B., 821), the railway by-law that established a strict liability offence of travelling without a ticket was found to be "bad". Quoting from a legal journal, "the passenger was found using the return half of a ticket after the date on which it ceased to be available, and was convicted by the magistrates under a by-law which subjected to a penalty any passenger using or attempting to use a ticket on any day for which such ticket is not available. It was expressly found that he was innocent of any attempt to defraud or anything in the nature of dishonesty. The Divisional Court held that the by-law was bad, as it purported to impose a penalty on persons travelling without any intent to avoid payment of their fare."

In Gentel v. Rapps (1902, 1 K.B., 160), a case about the by-laws of a Bristol tram company, Channell J. laid out the general principle of the law as: "A by-law is not repugnant to the general law merely because it creates a new offence, and says that something shall be unlawful which the law does not say is unlawful. It is repugnant if it makes unlawful that which the general law says is lawful. It is repugnant if it expressly or by necessary implication professes to alter the general law of the land. I say 'by necessary implication' because I have in mind the cases with respect to by-laws prohibiting persons from travelling on railways without a ticket. In those cases by-laws which impose the same penalty as the general law without making a fraudulent intention part of the description of the offence have been held to be bad, because the statute creating the offence says that there must be a fraudulent intention on the part of the person charged with travelling without a ticket, and the by-law therefore by implication alters the general law. Again, a by-law is repugnant if it adds something inconsistent with the provisions of a statute creating the same offence; but if it adds something not inconsistent, that is not sufficient to make the by-law bad as repugnant."

A similar principle came up in London Passenger Transport Board v. Sumner (1935, W.N., 196), where the by-law said "Each passenger shall, immediately upon demand or in case no demand shall have been made, before leaving the carriage, pay to the conductor the fare legally demandable for his journey and accept a ticket therefor". I'll quote a legal journal: "Lord Hewart C., Humphreys and Singleton 11. held that the magistrate had rightly decided that, the by-law was ultra vires, as being both repugnant to the law and unreasonable. The offence created by section 51 of the Tramways Act, 1870, consists in knowingly and wilfully proceeding beyond the distance paid for; and inasmuch as the by-law purported to make it an offence to do so inadvertently, it was bad."

I was wondering how this is reconciled with the strict liability offence created by byelaw 18 of the modern Railway Byelaws, which would seem to me to be almost precisely what is described by Channell where he says "in those cases by-laws which impose the same penalty as the general law without making a fraudulent intention part of the description of the offence have been held to be bad, because the statute creating the offence says that there must be a fraudulent intention on the part of the person charged with travelling without a ticket".

I imagine that if the Railway Byelaws were actually "bad by-laws", at least someone would have worked this out and tried it on to get off a fare evasion charge. As I know there are some experts in the field here, I was wondering if anyone might be able to illuminate me on how they are reconciled with the principle at work in these cases.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
There is most certainly a school of thought that Byelaw 18 is incompatible with primary legislation.

I don't think that it is by any means for sure that someone would have ever made this argument in a Court before - how many cases are actually defended? Almost none.

Someone who was prosecuted by a TOC but was going to be represented by counsel would likely find the case against them mysteriously dropped on the day.

furlong

Established Member
This exact point has been discussed many times on this forum and a few of us think there's a chance the current form of the byelaw might not survive a proper challenge, but until and unless someone raises the funds to do that and either overturns it or persuades the DfT to reverse its decision no longer to exclude it from court penalty, it stands.

furlong

Established Member
Firstly, it might be challenged directly along the lines you suggest. Secondly, the process by which the DfT brought about the change (in the early 2000s) might be challenged. There's already been one legal challenge of that process on a different point, which failed. A previous FOI request mysteriously couldn't locate any relevant paperwork (which was required to exist to support a material change of this nature). A cynic might suggest someone managed to sneak the change through amongst other stated changes (renumbering) without it being spotted at the time. On the other side of the argument, there has been a view expressed that the legal foundation for the new byelaws does permit this new penalty while the (different) foundation for the older sets of byelaws did not, rendering the case law you mention irrelevant. But until someone obtains a proper legal opinion or a court actually examines the issues itself this is all merely speculation.

Kilopylae

On the other side of the argument, there has been a view expressed that the legal foundation for the new byelaws does permit this new penalty while the (different) foundation for the older sets of byelaws did not, rendering the case law you mention irrelevant.
I'm not sure how a differing legal framework would render the 'by necessary implication' aspect of the law invalid. After all, the 'general law' (RoRA) remains unchanged; all that has differed is the Act that gives the byelaws authority, which was never the same Act as that creating the general law that cannot be changed by necessary implication by the byelaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.