• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bailey's Tramroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A visit to Abergavenny on 25th April 2022 for a meeting gave me an hour so so to start a look at the historic transport hub that is the village of Govilon where Bailey's Tramroad, and the Llanvihangel Tramroad met on the side of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. The site also includes the remains of the later Heads of the Valley Railway Line.

The linked post comes from just an hour spent in Govilon, following the line of the railway, the Canal and Bailey's Tramroad.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
A visit to Abergavenny on 25th April 2022 for a meeting gave me an hour so so to start a look at the historic transport hub that is the village of Govilon where Bailey's Tramroad, and the Llanvihangel Tramroad met on the side of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. The site also includes the remains of the later Heads of the Valley Railway Line.

The linked post comes from just an hour spent in Govilon, following the line of the railway, the Canal and Bailey's Tramroad.

Shame about the break of guage at Govilon, Nantyglo to Hereford would have been some serious milage for a plateway.

For walking I would suggest Hill's tramroad although have a companion leave a second car at the other end if you want to include the Llanfoist inclines.

The Blorenge tramroad is walkable in part but is surfaced with rubble in places so stout shoes are advised.

Agreed, Peter, some significant distance. Although the line from Govilon to Hereford was long enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.