• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC World Service v BBC Domestic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Split from the Coronavirus thread because it's becoming a discussion.

Perhaps the World Service simply reports the news rather than trying to MAKE it.
You're going to have to provide evidence as to what you consider "making" the news before I can respond to it.

I always find it grating when the announcer says "This is the BBC News", rather than "This is the news from the BBC". There is a subtle difference.
Bulletins at the top of the hour on the World service start with "BBC News, I'm <person>" or "I'm <person> with the BBC News". Sometimes they add "world" or "world service".

Perhaps another theory is required.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
How separate are the journalistic / production teams anyway? There is clear crossover between Radio 4 and World Service. Some programmes are exact repeats but they neglect to mention so in progamme listings or Sounds website. For example 'From Our Own Correspondent' which has a different introducer but then the same segments, but perhaps in a different order. Or Assignment and Crossing Continents (I think it was) but not for every episode. I don't mind this but would prefer it if they simply branded it as the same programme on each outlet.

There is also a lot of cross-contamination between programmes. An expert is wheeled on on a particular topic, then it (and the expert) crops up elsewhere.

Several of the 'journalists' are now more 'opionists'.

My current pet annoyance is the woman on Farming Today. Far too aggressive, she should be on Today.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Half of the programs on the World Service such as Outside Source and Dateline London are similcast on both BBC News and World Service.

The overnight (1-6am) shows on World Service is also similcast on BBC1 as well as BBC News

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Half of the programs on the World Service such as Outside Source and Dateline London are similcast on both BBC News and World Service.

The overnight (1-6am) shows on World Service is also similcast on BBC1 as well as BBC News
I was thinking of the pre-recorded / feature programmes rather than the live news / magazine type programmes. I tend not to bother with the live stuff as it just repeats every hour, like the TV equivalent. It's OK for a quick blast but not for all day listening.

dosxuk

Established Member
BBC World News is not the same as the BBC World Service.

BBC World News is one of several commercial channel sold to foreign broadcasters that are produced by the BBC on a purely "for-profit" basis. BBC World News and BBC News (domestic news channel) share resources and programming, with costs attributed and shared between the commercial / licence fee parts of the organisation.

The World Service is the UK Government's attempt to spread our view of the world to other countries, with several television and radio channels as well as customised websites. These services are funded by the licence fee (formerly it was a separate grant from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, but was transferred as part of the deal to not reduce the licence fee at the last settlement), and are mostly provided free or even broadcast to areas without permission from local authorities.

DerekC

Established Member
The thing I like about World News is that it … includes news from around the world, whereas the domestic bulletins have become much like those in the USA, just focused on domestic issues. When I worked in the US for a while the BBC World programmes seemed just great!

Esker-pades

Established Member
The thing I like about World News is that it … includes news from around the world, whereas the domestic bulletins have become much like those in the USA, just focused on domestic issues. When I worked in the US for a while the BBC World programmes seemed just great!
One of the complaints I have about the World Service is that there is an awful lot of US news and coverage. I don't know if its inappropriate, but it is slightly tedious.

westv

Established Member
I remember in the 80s listening to the tune of Lillibullero followed by "This is London".
Do they still do that on the World Service?

Senex

Established Member
One of the complaints I have about the World Service is that there is an awful lot of US news and coverage. I don't know if its inappropriate, but it is slightly tedious.
That's not just the World Service. There always seems to be an awful lot of US news on the BBC domestic news programmes, including pretty detailed coverage of the US political scene—far better and more thorough coverage of things USA than they ever gave to equivalent European matters, even when we were still EU members. You say "slightly tedious", but I'd say "very tedious".

Status
Not open for further replies.