• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best places to get Freight movements in Scotland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photohunter71

Now that I am re-kindling an old hobby and interest,I decided late last year to drive off down to the WCML just not far from Greenhillstairs,found a cracking spot,unfortunately the weather turned,however sitting in my car watching for movements,I noticed there weren't as many as I had known when the 56's/60's/47's/37's etc were around.Just saw 3 92's and a shed! Talk about a let down!:roll: So,where can I park up and film/snap away without nutters showing their real intelligence! Was thinking Carstairs,and it looks like the ECML near Drem is quiet,not a lot happening there either!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
If you head to Carstairs, you'll get all the Ravenstruther Freights, plus the Tescos. Same if you go to Ravenstruther (the road bridge is quite good)

Drem is dead quiet, but the fields at Prestonpans are a good spot and have a track which is right next to the boundary fence (ignore the signs on the gate which tell you not to trespass on the railway - you're not, you're between the bottom of a farmer's field and the railway, with a fence protecting you from the line)

Photohunter71

Thanks mate! Much appreciated,where I work I have the City (Edinburgh) sub loop which runs at the bottom of where I'm based (Morningside),have noticed a couple of coals,and noticed the RTA (Rio-Tinto-Alcan) going through a little earlier than usual sometimes.Keep missing the cements! But there's not much else here!
I thought Ravenstruther wasn't operational anymore,but if it's still up and running,is it still as busy with coal?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Noticed now a few Freightliner Coal movements round the sub,am aware of DB Schenker coal movements,but when did the sub start getting Freightliner coals?

Last edited:

scotsman

Established Member
Thanks mate! Much appreciated,where I work I have the City (Edinburgh) sub loop which runs at the bottom of where I'm based (Morningside),have noticed a couple of coals,and noticed the RTA (Rio-Tinto-Alcan) going through a little earlier than usual sometimes.Keep missing the cements! But there's not much else here!
I thought Ravenstruther wasn't operational anymore,but if it's still up and running,is it still as busy with coal?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Noticed now a few Freightliner Coal movements round the sub,am aware of DB Schenker coal movements,but when did the sub start getting Freightliner coals?

Pretty sure there's a few Leith coals operated by FHH

I'd definately recommend Carstairs as you get a good mixture of freight there including both Ravenstruther and Hunterston Coals, the nuclear flasks, DRS and freightliner intermodals, the Stobart containers and departmentals and of course if your up early enough in the summer, the sleeper service as well.

Also Holytown is good as well as you get all the freight from the West Coast Main Line and from the Shotts line, this gives you the Alcans, pipe train, cements, coals, Stobarts, nuclear flasks, Stobart and intermodals.

wensley

Established Member
Despite being from the English side of the border it has become a bit of a tradition for me and a few mates to head north once or twice a year, and Prestonpans normally features in our plans! No exception this year, we've generally found the freight to be good, the location to be quiet and the photos fairly easy to shoot :) Heading up on the 4th April and fitting in our compulsory Fife Circle bash as well!!

Photohunter71

My hols are over until September,but I'll be at an airshow then,Might take the odd day here and there for something,but I'm told Freight at Prestonpans is a rarity these days,the only regular freight that passes there is the Edinburgh - Oxwellmains "Council Express" (the domestic refuse).

Status
Not open for further replies.