• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bi-mode regional units with third rail pick-up and pantograph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hi

I'm wondering today about a bi-mode regional unit. Would it be possible to have a unit like a turbostar (run by diesel) with a pantograph and third rail shoe? This would be useful on routes such as Cardiff-Portsmouth. Providing GW electrification goes ahead, it could run 3rd rail Portsmouth-Southampton, diesel Southampton-Bath, then overhead Bath-Cardiff. I'm assuming this is not possible, but it could be, so I don't know. What are your thoughts on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
If Bombardier can do a Bi-Mode voyager/meridain then maybe a Bi-Mode turbostar could be built this could be good for some route such as Cardiff - Taunton if the Great western is electrified.

Turbostar

I can't see how it could be possible with a unit. Take a Class 357 unit for example, all the cars have electrical components underfloor in order to run & operate the unit. So where's the underfloor diesel engines gonna go, as well as all the components to go with them???

TheWalrus

Established Member
@Anthony - That's what I'm thinking!
@Turbostar - They can do it with a 22X, so why would it be any different to a turbostar, which is made by the same manufacturer?

The reason I think the Electrostar family have equipment under each coach is due to the distributed arrangement of traction motors compared with earlier Mk3 EMU's which have one powered coach per 4-car set, so that all the traction control equipment is mounted only on that coach, with ancillaries/auxiliaries on the adjacent Auxiliary Coach.

With a DEMU, which is what you would be proposing (in much the same way as the 22x bi-mode proposal), the traction motors operate in the same way as on an EMU, with the diesel engine(s) acting as generators to provide the AC/DC current for those motors through a bus line - the same bus line which could be fed with current from an OHLE or CRE pickup. A bi-mode conversion of the 22x family involves inserting an extra coach fitted with a pantograph, plus the associated transformer (and rectifiers etc if they use DC traction motors?) while the remaining four/five coaches provide the diesel generated electricity for off-wires running.

So what you could be suggesting is at least a 3-coach derivative of the Turbostar, comprising:

Coach A and C: Fitted with Diesel engine, fuel tank, CRE collector shoe, powered bogies. Traction Control equipment

Coach B: Pantograph, Transformer, Rectifiers, would have the option of powered/unpowered coach, I believe the 375/377 to have the pantograph coach unpowered.

Would be a real go-anywhere unit, and using a modular power-pack system like on current Turbostars, the extra weight of the diesel equipment has the potential to be removed upon further electrification to save on energy consumption.

A 2-coach version might be possible but I would guess most platforms on the national network are capable of at least 3 cars - of course more diesel generator coaches could be inserted into the formations, or even trailer coaches if the power/weight ratio allows.

Turbostar

@Anthony - That's what I'm thinking!
@Turbostar - They can do it with a 22X, so why would it be any different to a turbostar, which is made by the same manufacturer?

22X units are DEMU's. The engines & components power the motors to run the train, as I'm sure you know. Add the capability to pick up juice from either a 3rd rail or overhead, you'll need additional components as well as whats on board to convert the juice etc. Where's it gonna go???

TheWalrus

Established Member
22X units are DEMU's. The engines & components power the motors to run the train, as I'm sure you know. Add the capability to pick up juice from either a 3rd rail or overhead, you'll need additional components as well as whats on board to convert the juice etc. Where's it gonna go???
How should I know?! What if we settled for just overhead and diesel, without 3rd rail?

TGV

No no no no.... First up that B 81500 is a much simpler beast than what you're effectively proposing as a TRI-mode unit. It has diesel power and a single pantograph - which remember picks up DC supply (no heavy transformer). It would be possible technically to add to this a transformer AND 3rd rail gear - but commercially - it would be a complex bit of kit, where would it fill a commercial need and how many compromises would be made?

I'd certainly not be happy being involved with that project!!!

starrymarkb

Established Member
I thought the AGC came in 25kv and 1500V flavours, some are both bi mode and dual voltage. It depend what the voltage is in the ordering départment

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Once you have crammed overhead and diesel into the same unit, adding third rail pickup wouldn't add any underfloor equipment of significant size.

For comparison you'll see that 350/1 and 350/2 are practically identical under the solebar...

But four and five car Desiros only have two motored coaches, Electrostar style distributed traction isn't the only possible solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.