• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bi-Mode Trains - Is Diesel-Electric Operation Automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
On a bi-mode train, is the switch between diesel and electric automatic?
Or does the driver have to physically start the process by way of a button or some such?

I guess there's something that tells the pantograph to come down automatically?

How long is the start up process for the diesel engines to when they take over?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In the main 800 thread somewhere it was explained that it isn’t automatic yet on GW yet because none of the current changeover points positions are in their final positions. But the trains are supposed to support automatic changeover eventually.

pdeaves

Established Member
On a bi-mode train, is the switch between diesel and electric automatic?
Or does the driver have to physically start the process by way of a button or some such?

I guess there's something that tells the pantograph to come down automatically?

How long is the start up process for the diesel engines to when they take over?
It depends which bi-modes you are talking about. I believe 769s will be purely manual.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
with the 769 the engines merely tap into and therefore emulate the juice rail supply. As 319 the changeover took place at Farringdon while stationary as the train was effectively shut down and restarted on the new power supply. The 377s that crossed London did the same.

can't comment on the 802 as I don't sign them yet

Ian Murray

I gathe the GWR Class 800s are doing this automatically using track-side balise on the ground to send a signal to the train to start the process E -> D and D -> E. New signs are track-side for the drivers to use and he/she can then monitor what should be an automatic process with the option to start or override what's happening. The balise can be deactivated remotely say if OHW is not energised. It's fair to say there was a lot of testing planned although I've heard it was surprisingly faultless.

Status
Not open for further replies.