• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham Stns - Great Yarmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvboy

Established Member
Hi all

Can any of you fares expert help me out in getting down the price of the following journey. It's for a two-night trip to Great Yarmouth on any weekend after the 24th January.

I must leave after 16:00 on the Friday (preferably not leaving much later than that), and must return before 22:30 on Saturday (will be going onwards to Wolverhampton)

The price of an Off Peak Return is £81.80 NOT VIA LONDON, and I can see there are advance fares from £11.50 but not at the times on the dates I want.

I am happy for the journey to take a longer route within reason. I know that splitting at Peterborough makes a Birmingham-Norwich journey cheaper but haven't explored this for Great Yarmouth.

I have no railcards, and have a nNetwork West Midlands Zone 1-5 Season ticket, not that I think that will make any difference.

Thanks in advance as always.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

You might try going via and splitting in London - I leave it to you to follow that up.

dvboy

Established Member
Thanks I am looking into splitting things now.

To split at Peterborough...
Birmingham-Peterborough £31.40
Peterborough-Great Yarmouth £21.70
total £53.10

I have found out there is engineering works between Peterborough and Leicester on Sundays 29/1, 5/2 and 12/2 so I don't really want to come back that way then as it adds an hour to the journey.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Having spent a lot of time now looking at fares from Birmingham-London for the first of the weekends (27-29 Jan) it appears there are no advance fares for Great Yarmouth-London on any Sunday from 29 Jan to 26 Feb. The journey being suggested is via Cambridge to Kings Cross and an Off Peak Return is £46.80.

So I am back to square one and it looks like a split at Peterborough at £53.10 as above is going to be the cheapest option unless anyone can suggest anything better?

Last edited:

dzug2

If you put in a route of via Colchester there ARE Sunday advance fares from Great Yarmouth to London (on Feb 5th at least - haven't checked the others)

Whether it will help you or not is another matter - 5 changes with two bus sectors taking 4.5 plus hours....

dvboy

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I'm going to travel on the 17th-19th February now.

The cheapest option Via London (the Colchester suggestion above) works out more expensive by 90p and that's not taking into account Oyster fares. Friday's 1830 out from Liverpool Street is £21, and it's £25 for an Off Peak Return on Chiltern arriving MYB 1746.

There's also the risk of something like this happening to consider.

I'll be splitting at Peterborough unless anyone can suggest a better place to, at least then I have some flexibility too.

Status
Not open for further replies.