• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bit of a nerdy question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntypeman

Hi all...

does anyone know what sort of brass connectors are used on the back / rear of cab air gauges???

Thanks in advance...

Eric

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
For ex-British Rail rolling stock, your best bet to getting a specific answer would be a mate with access to the PADS database.

ntypeman

For ex-British Rail rolling stock, your best bet to getting a specific answer would be a mate with access to the PADS database.
Unfortunately, the very few mates / contacts I have on the railways are all drivers & guards... I know no one on the engineering side of things...

Are you querying thread type and size?
Sort of... just out of curiosity really... I've worked in the bus industry for years & seen all sorts of brass fittings but never like this...

Incidentally, I don't suppose anyone would know where I could get any other gauges at a "reasonable" price??? I've picked 2 gages up for around £30 a piece but have seen some on ebay upwards of £80... Its not a price I (a) have the money for, or (b) am unwilling to pay when ultimately I'm intending on stripping them down to convert them to electronic control to try & get them to work with train simulator...

It's irrelevant really if they work or not, just as long as they've in a reasonable condition (ie: gauge face is readable, needles not missing & the glass is intact)...

Thanks again...

Eric

Sorry!!!

I forgot to insert the photo...!!!

Eric

Attachments

• 20230923_083745.jpg
    20230923_083745.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

themiller

It’s too many years ago, now, but the gauge connections that we had like this in the RN had an annealed copper washer on the flat face of the connector with the spigot passing through and mating onto a similar flat face welded (or brazed) onto the end of a steel pipe with a long union nut providing the pressure to keep the pressure sealed. I can’t refer to my text books at the moment as I’m currently on holiday.

Ken X

The thread type would be BSPP or British Standard Pipe Parallel. As the thread is parallel, the compressible washer detailed by themiller at the base of the threaded stub provides the sealing element. No PTFE tape or similar is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.