• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bolton - London - Hull Paragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
I will have a Saver Return YP from Manchester to London and a Saver Return Return portion from Manchester to Hull, is it valid for the return journey to travel direct from London to Hull via Doncaster or Sheffeild, the logic being that London to Manchester via valid via Sheffeild or Doncaster? Is this the case? Or would I need to travel via Sheffeild? Or Manchester?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Blimey, that's hard to understand.

You appear to be asking if a London to Manchester ticket routed Any Permitted is valid via Sheffield? The answer of course, is yes. (though it is generally cheaper to buy the Route Chesterfield ticket and an excess to Any Permitted for the portion that you are going via WCML)

But you also appear to be asking if a London to Manchester ticket routed Any Permitted is valid via Doncaster, so that you can avoid having to take the MML route and can use the ECML to Doncaster? Unfortunately the answer is no.

If you wish to avoid Sheffield, you could try to obtain an over-distance excess to Huddersfield (route: Any Permitted) which would then be valid via ECML to Doncaster.

If you have not already purchased your tickets then perhaps you can reveal details of all the applicable journeys you need to make as we can probably find a cheaper combination of tickets.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
I'm going to either be making:

Manchester Picc - London Day1
London - Hull Paragon Day2

or just Manc Picc - London Day1
London - Manc Picc - Bolton Day2

I need to have my Manchester / Bolton London ticket purchased exactly as such as this is being refunded on expenses.

I have the return portion of a Hull - Manchester SVR Y-P and if I can wing it to go via Doncaster so I can return to Hull rather than Manchester without any extra expense, it would be nice, if not, how much more will this cost?

OwlMan

Established Member
You can travel from St Pancras to Sheffield on your Manchester - London return portion ; and your Manchester to Hull portion is valid from Sheffield to Hull if that is want you want to know

Nym

Established Member
Yeah, I knew that, was wondering if I could or how I could push it to Doncaster so I can get a straight through service.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yeah, I knew that, was wondering if I could or how I could push it to Doncaster so I can get a straight through service.

yorkie answered your question earlier:

If you wish to avoid Sheffield, you could try to obtain an over-distance excess to Huddersfield (route: Any Permitted) which would then be valid via ECML to Doncaster.

Huddersfield-London Any Permitted SVR is £110.55 (!) or SSR £62.85
Manchester-London SVR is £49.00

Therefore the excess would be £13.85 to the SSR. If you haven't bought the Manchester-London SVR yet then you'd be better off buying the Huddersfield-London SSR instead; there's no financial advantage in excessing for overdistance (and as yorkie hinted with "try to", it's not always as straightforward as it should be to get excesses, you may get various excuses as to why it can't be done). Break of journey is permitted so it's fine to start short at Manchester. Valid on trains arriving into Euston after 1130 (for the SSR).

On the return you would swap from your London-Huddersfield ticket to your Manchester-Hull ticket at Doncaster. The London-Huddersfield SSR is valid from Kings Cross between 09:06 and 14:57 inclusive & at or after 18:59. Also allowed at or after 18:15 on Fridays.

OwlMan

Established Member
yorkie answered your question earlier:

Huddersfield-London Any Permitted SVR is £110.55 (!) or SSR £62.85
Manchester-London SVR is £49.00

Therefore the excess would be £13.85 to the SSR. If you haven't bought the Manchester-London SVR yet then you'd be better off buying the Huddersfield-London SSR instead; there's no financial advantage in excessing for overdistance (and as yorkie hinted with "try to", it's not always as straightforward as it should be to get excesses, you may get various excuses as to why it can't be done). Break of journey is permitted so it's fine to start short at Manchester. Valid on trains arriving into Euston after 1130 (for the SSR).

On the return you would swap from your London-Huddersfield ticket to your Manchester-Hull ticket at Doncaster. The London-Huddersfield SSR is valid from Kings Cross between 09:06 and 14:57 inclusive & at or after 18:59. Also allowed at or after 18:15 on Fridays.

I do not think that is valid.

From the Manual

A customer travelling to an alternative destination station, deviating from the route(s) shown on the ticket, will be required to pay the cheapest Single or Return fare, available for immediate travel, for the part of the journey not covered by the ticket held. The customer needs to comply with National Rail Condtions of Carriage, Condition 19.

An "Overriding excess" is just that, an excess for travelling further than the destination on your ticket but still travelling on your original ticket as far as the destination via a valid route.
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.