• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Books on early German Railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybach

Are there any English-language books on early German Railways, the period generally referred to (I believe) as 'Epoch I'? I've had a trawl through amazon etc. and can't really see anything - not in English anyway! I suppose I should also search by individual states e.g. Bavaria, Prussia etc.

I toyed with the idea of joining the German Railway Society but, having looked at their website, got the idea that they are aimed more at modellers. The application form includes questions such as 'Do you have a model railway layout?'; 'Would you be willing to exhibit it?' and 'Could you help out at exhibitions?'!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I don’t think there are many books with a reasonably wide history of early German railways in English: the only one that comes to mind is the 1960s Continental Railway Handbook - West Germany by W.J.K.Davies. (I think: I will try to find my copy to check.) There were also the Railway Holiday in… series, but these were thinner on the history. There is a mass of books on just about every aspect of railway history in German.

The German Railways Society had, when I was a member ten plus years ago, a mixture of interests, so there were people who were interested in early prototypes. One change that may have occurred in the intervening years in the Society is that those who became interested in German railways while serving in BAOR are no longer members, so modelling may be more dominant.

EDIT: I have found the book (surprisingly quickly, normally if I wanted it the French volume would pop up immediately, but I would have to search for the German one and v.v.). It is a small book, but roughly the first three pages cover the history up to 1914. The rest largely deals with the contemporary West Germany.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.