• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR announcer Angela Peberdy has died

Robert

The voice-over actress Angela Peberdy whose recorded announcements were heard at most major stations right across the Southern Region in the 1970s and 1980s has died aged 86.

Many thanks to the BBC for providing me with the following:

"She was born into a well-to-do family in Buckinghamshire in 1937, the younger of two children of Harry Peberdy, a marketing manager with Heinz, and his wife Molly (née Packer), a secretary. Her brother, Michael, a broker, predeceased her. She was raised in Little Kimble, near Aylesbury, and educated at Chiltern School in Chesham Bois before perfecting her diction at finishing school.

Keen on adventure, she was drawn to the bright lights of London early in the Sixties and was soon working at recording studios, notably the De Lane Lea Studios on Dean Street in Soho. Moving to the IBC Recording Studios in Portland Place, she found herself in the company of the Beatles’ producer, Glyn Johns, and bands such as the Rolling Stones and the Kinks.

Gradually her eloquent voice was put to better use on the other side of the microphone, often with voiceover work for advertisers. By the mid-Seventies she was being heard on station announcements. In the Eighties she and Robert Lister, who played Lewis Carmichael in The Archers and died last year, became the first voices for the new solid state Infomat recorded announcement system, making their recordings at the company’s studios in Mitcham, southwest London.

Meanwhile, Peberdy had met Fred Close, a wealthy American businessman and artist who was living in London. They were married in 1976, an occasion that captured the interest of the tabloid press who were finally able to reveal the face behind the voice that many commuters knew so well.

In the late Eighties, Peberdy and her husband moved to the US and she was replaced on railway recordings by Julie Berry although Angela's voice continued to be heard at some stations until the early 2000s. They settled in the small town of Madison, Ohio, where Close created several pieces of public art. When not travelling the world they supported philanthropic projects, including the local food bank. Close died in 2018 and Peberdy is survived by her two stepdaughters, Kate and Karen. She returned regularly to Britain, where she kept a picture-book thatched cottage at Long Crendon in Buckinghamshire."

BBC Radio 4 is planning a feature about Angela Peberdy's life during their Last Word obituary programme to be broadcast at 1600 this coming Friday. The producer emailed me a couple of days ago asking for a few recordings of her announcements for inclusion in the programme. I have also given him contact details of the former manager of Infomat Carl Littlejohn who worked with Angela for many years so he may well contribute to the programme.

Angela Peberdy 2.jpg
Angela Peberdy in 1974 (from my own archive)

And finally from just over 40 years ago, here is Angela announcing one of those early morning Sussex Coast trains at Clapham Junction that calls just about everywhere!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Is it her voice that can be heard on The Members’ Sound of the Suburbs, at least the original 1979 version? (As seen on YouTube and on my tapedeck.)

ls2270

Established Member
Picture this, if you will. It’s 1987 and a teenage rail enthusiast makes his way home after a long Saturday of trains and buses, clutching his Casey Jones burger and milkshake, over the pedestrian crossing across the taxi road at Waterloo, past the florist and WH Smith on the left and the ticket office and Sandell Street steps on the right, up the slope to Waterloo East. Checking the bank of Solari boards at the top, he shows his pink cardboard One Day Capitalcard at the red ticket booth and makes his way down the slope to Platform C for the train back to Orpington as the announcement plays….”Platform C for the Mainline Service to Hastings, via Tunbridge Wells, calling AT Orpington, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, High Brooms, Tunbridge Wells….”
RIP Angela, they don’t make them like you any more!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I remember her announcements. She doesn’t seem as well known as Celia Drummond etc and yet her announcements are so iconic. RIP.

stadler

This is very sad to hear. I have always really liked her announcements. When i worked on the railways in the 80s i used to hear her so much every day. She was probably what got me interested in automated announcements in the first place. She had a very well spoken RP voice that i thought worked perfectly for announcements. There are very few announcers like her left these days. RIP.

prod_pep

Established Member
Lovely voice which is about a million times easier on the ears than 'Anne'. RIP.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The Radio 4 programme featuring Angela Peberdy is now available to listen to by clicking on the link below. The relevant section commences at 19 minutes and 58 seconds:
Many thanks for posting this link and the earlier obit - very interesting to hear. I do recall these announcements. Very evocative of the era.

announcements

Fascinating programme. The "marching" instruction at London Bridge was something I'd not heard of. She also had to soften her voice at "Epsom".

Apparently she did the "mind the gap" announcement for LU - that I never knew.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Many thanks for posting this link and the earlier obit - very interesting to hear. I do recall these announcements. Very evocative of the era.

Always a good programe and that was excellent. Very evocative - but a tad out of place at Cardiff Central when she excellently announced the Valleys lines - presumably having been briefed on tricky ones like Gilfach Fargoed ! A shame that none of these appeared on the prog.