• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Budapest-Sibiu-Brasov in June - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm trying to complete booking a trip through Romania next month, and am being messed about by CFR (Romanian Railways).
I fixed flights and hotels to match 2 days of daytime travel, Budapest-Sibiu one day (IC75 Transylvania) and Sibiu-Brasov the next (a segment of IC347 Dacia).
This has looked fine on the various web sites for months, but now the booking window has arrived it's turning out to be more difficult to book.
MAV refuses to book to Sibiu on IC75 and the times on CFR are radically changed.

The timetable for the route through Sibiu seems to have been changed completely for the month of June, with the train numbers also changed.
IC75 finishes short at Simeria and requires 2 changes to reach Sibiu much later, and IC347 is similarly retimed later from Sibiu, defeating my plan for an afternoon stopover at Brasov.
According to MAV, timings seem to resume as in the timetable in July, although the CFR booking window (30 days) doesn't work for July yet.
The line itself seems to be open but with just a few stoppers running.

Does anybody know what is happening during June?
bahn.com is no help, only showing the original times.
There isn't even an enquiry email address on the CFR web site.
Plan B would be to route on IC367 (Hargita) from Budapest via Cluj to Sighisoara, and switch hotels from Sibiu.
Any advice welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
To answer my own question, CFR has finally put out (on May 30) a notice on their web site about closure of the Vintu de Jos-Sibiu line in June, for engineering works.
https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/releases/922-changes-in-trains-circulation-between-31-may-30-june
The upshot is that Sibiu is very hard to reach during this period, so I booked to Sighisoara via Cluj Napoca instead, and then on to Brasov.

The only real downside, apart from 2 early starts I was hoping to avoid, is a 10-minute change into a local train at Copsa Mica for the final leg to Sighisoara.
Copsa Mica is reported to be the most polluted town in Romania/Europe in the guide books, and stops are not recommended.
Hopefully CFR will honour the connection, or I will have to breathe the air there for another 2 hours!
I will also discover what happens in Romania if you are on a train without a ticket (I can only book reservable trains in advance, and there is no time to buy a local ticket at the station).

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
To answer my own question, CFR has finally put out (on May 30) a notice on their web site about closure of the Vintu de Jos-Sibiu line in June, for engineering works.
https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/releases/922-changes-in-trains-circulation-between-31-may-30-june
The upshot is that Sibiu is very hard to reach during this period, so I booked to Sighisoara via Cluj Napoca instead, and then on to Brasov.

The only real downside, apart from 2 early starts I was hoping to avoid, is a 10-minute change into a local train at Copsa Mica for the final leg to Sighisoara.
Copsa Mica is reported to be the most polluted town in Romania/Europe in the guide books, and stops are not recommended.
Hopefully CFR will honour the connection, or I will have to breathe the air there for another 2 hours!
I will also discover what happens in Romania if you are on a train without a ticket (I can only book reservable trains in advance, and there is no time to buy a local ticket at the station).

Dont worry about copsa mica today. It used to have a disgusting carbon black plant spewing out blacm junk. But that closed c 1993 94.

shredder1

Established Member
We did Brasov sheds yesterday, very difficult to find, a local Romanian spotter took us out to it, we got round, but avoid security on the way out, enter the depot from the triage yards. You can buy tickets on the trains, we jumped one, didnt have time to buy at the station, it was fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.