• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Burton-on-Trent [BUT] to Torquay [TQY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmilton

Hello all.

I'm looking to travel Burton-on-Trent to Torquay, out Sunday afternoon 4 March, return Monday afternoon 5 March. I don't know precisely when I shall be returning so I'd rather not book an Advance fare (£77).

The standard off-peak return is £93.40, which I can get down to £81.90 by breaking at Cheltenham (useful anyway as I can change there instead of B'ham on those services which aren't direct from Newton Abbot to Burton).

Anyone able to get it down futher? I've tried Bristol but that comes in around £84 IIRC.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I can't see anything obvious splitting south of Cheltenham (e.g. Bristol/Taunton/Exeter); indeed Cheltenham-Exeter is a lot more expensive than Cheltenham-Torquay! (£53.50 vs £43.50). That's not to say it can't be done (the aim is usually to avoid anything priced by CrossCountry).

Just a wee note, when you use more than one ticket to make a single journey, you are "splitting" the fare. There is no need to change trains or to leave your seat if doing this, the only requirement is for the train to call at the "split" station (though in some circumstances it's permitted to travel on non-calling trains). "Break of journey" refers to leaving the station at an intermediate point - on a BUT-TQY ticket you could break your journey at Cheltenham and continue it at any later point in the validity of the ticket.

CrossCountry Advance fares are generally rubbish anyway, usually priced slightly below the Off Peak Return in order to catch out those who don't know the difference.

newmilton

Just a wee note, when you use more than one ticket to make a single journey, you are "splitting" the fare. There is no need to change trains or to leave your seat if doing this

I realise that. It's just that some journeys require a change anyway; and I don't like New Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.