• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Avanti ticket for my son

stamfordman

I have registered an account for myself to buy a London-Manchester return for my son with a railcard and was just about to buy when I thought that surely the e-ticket will be sent to my email - can I forward it to my son or will it be in my name and not transferable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

disunity

I have registered an account for myself to buy a London-Manchester return for my son with a railcard and was just about to buy when I thought that surely the e-ticket will be sent to my email - can I forward it to my son or will it be in my name and not transferable?
The ticket has no name. You son will need to have the same Railcard though as the ticket says.
You can send your son the pdf of the ticket.

stamfordman

That was quick - many thanks!
I'm going to buy him a 16-25 railcard - he's going to Manchester University for an open day on the course he's been accepted on.

Snow1964

Established Member
Just forward the email (with attachments)

Not sure which ticket site you used, but some keep the settings, so will keep railcard ticked, make sure you remove it if next ticket is for you

Brissle Girl

Established Member
And don’t use Trainline, which charges fees for buying tickets in advance. Most if not all train companies have ticketing sites that don’t charge fees, and indeed this forum has an accredited ticketing site too.

stamfordman

I used National Rail which handed over to Avanti.
Must say the ticket forwarding must be a very common query that I can't see in the FAQs - everything is pitched at you the traveller, not you the person who may be buying for others.

trainJam

And you don't need to buy the Railcard until the day of travel.
True for railcards on mobile phones, as well as the paper 1-year railcard issued at the ticket office.

Although if getting a plastic one by post, remember to leave some time for it to arrive.

JBuchananGB

I have bought tickets for others using this forum’s ticketing section, and forwarded the PDFs to them. Another neat trick was to search for best train fares for them, the capture the URL from the website, and send that over so they could buy the tickets without the hassle of searching for them. Worked a treat.