• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone identify this location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheridan

Channel 4 show The Tube (1980s) featured a few bands playing in the location in the clip below. I’m assuming it’s in London but I could be wrong. Can anyone identify it? (1:25ish onwards.)

Edit: further shots in this clip:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
South Wales?

Based on the hoppers.

And the fact they have a Welsh name and a Welsh song title.

Sheridan

South Wales?

Based on the hoppers.

And the fact they have a Welsh name and a Welsh song title.

Actually that makes sense, I initially assumed they’d been paid for a trip to London but as all three bands filmed were Welsh your suggestion is much more likely!

Darandio

Established Member
The Tube was, I think, produced in Newcastle, so that’s another possibility.

It was, the vast majority of it was filmed there and I did initially consider the location to be somewhere down towards Dunston staiths but they wouldn't have seen traffic when this was filmed.

It turns out this particular episode was a Welsh special presented by the late, great John Peel. Presumably it was done down there.

Sheridan

One of the band members has said it was in the vicinity of King’s Cross (which may have been in my mind from some years ago, hence my feeling it was in London).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
One of the band members has said it was in the vicinity of King’s Cross (which may have been in my mind from some years ago, hence my feeling it was in London).
If that's the correct location, then with a bridge like that in the picture in the opening post, it would have to be the Belle Isle / Holloway Bank area.

Veteran Member
Could it be Kings Cross Goods, with the viaduct (which I first thought was a railway) being York Way? Though I'm not sure what the 08 and hoppers were doing there....

Gloster

Established Member
The hoppers would suggest a coal concentration depot, but the nearest I can find in an old Baker was just outside the west end of Haverstock Hill Tunnel on the St Pancras route, but this looks to be on the wrong side of the line. Remember, that if you are not familiar with London (the band came from Cardigan) distances may be relative.

An alternative is that they are for roadstone, which would widen the possibilities. I am not sure if Kings Cross received roadstone.

6Gman

Established Member
Could it be Kings Cross Goods, with the viaduct (which I first thought was a railway) being York Way? Though I'm not sure what the 08 and hoppers were doing there....
At around 1.10 you can see a big board on one of the building, presumably a business name? Can anyone get a clear image that can be read?

(Or if anyone can read the number of the 08!)

Gloster

Established Member
At around 1.10 you can see a big board on one of the building, presumably a business name? Can anyone get a clear image that can be read?
I wondered, although I think I am reading too much into this, whether that was still in the old Eastern Region blue colour scheme. ‘Probably not’ is the answer.

Sheridan

The hoppers would suggest a coal concentration depot, but the nearest I can find in an old Baker was just outside the west end of Haverstock Hill Tunnel on the St Pancras route, but this looks to be on the wrong side of the line. Remember, that if you are not familiar with London (the band came from Cardigan) distances may be relative.

An alternative is that they are for roadstone, which would widen the possibilities. I am not sure if Kings Cross received roadstone.

Indeed, although it wasn’t a member of Datblygu who said it was ‘behind’ King’s Cross, but someone from Anhrefn, who were from mid Wales, although your point still stands!

Magdalia

Established Member
I think that you are right.

The hoppers are the Fen Drayton sand train.

Gloster

Established Member
If it is Kings Cross, then I think it is looking out from the yard towards the mainline.

I have found some uncaptioned photos on Flickr (I can’t do a link, but it is GN Area 1980s album) which seem to confirm it is Kings Cross.

Taunton

Established Member
Right in the first second or two of the 08 pushing the wagons I think I see an OHLE portal, painted grey, for the passenger lines climbing out of Kings Cross, which were at a lower level than the yard.

Roger1973

That's the conclusion I was coming to, although admit it's not quite my patch

1953 OS map here - not sure how much was still there by the early 80s (later maps aren't in the public domain)

I wondered, although I think I am reading too much into this, whether that was still in the old Eastern Region blue colour scheme. ‘Probably not’ is the answer.

If it's where I think, then building would be the north end of Kings Cross Goods depot.

The outside still had at least one dark blue sign in 1985 (not my photo) so not impossible that the railway side did.

6Gman

Established Member
Indeed, although it wasn’t a member of Datblygu who said it was ‘behind’ King’s Cross, but someone from Anhrefn, who were from mid Wales, although your point still stands!
Anhrefn were from Bangor I think rather than mid Wales. I follow one of their members on Twitter - might ask him if he recalls?

But Kings Cross is looking likely isn't it?

Sheridan

Anhrefn were from Bangor I think rather than mid Wales. I follow one of their members on Twitter - might ask him if he recalls?

But Kings Cross is looking likely isn't it?

It was Rhys Mwyn who said on twitter that it was behind King’s Cross, I’m presuming that’s who you follow so no point asking again. He and his brother are from Llanfair Caereinion near Welshpool, but they may well have formed in Bangor and have members from there.

Gloster

Established Member
I reckon that the over bridge is York Way. One tiny point is that the GNR brickwork tended to go that yellow-black shade (one of those normally useless observations that I tend to remember).

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Definitely York Way crossing over the throat of King’s Cross Goods IMHO. You can get all geeky and relate the number of tracks (or former tracks) under each bridge span on the NLS 25” maps if you want.

6Gman

Established Member
It was Rhys Mwyn who said on twitter that it was behind King’s Cross, I’m presuming that’s who you follow so no point asking again. He and his brother are from Llanfair Caereinion near Welshpool, but they may well have formed in Bangor and have members from there.
Thumbs up.

And confirmed by someone who was there (i.e. Rhys Mwyn). It was Kings Cross.

Last edited:

rf_ioliver

Can't help with the location - now identified - but never expected to see Datblygu and Y Cyrff on RailUkForums :)

Pinza-C55

This was covered on RMweb. It is 5 arch Bridge at King's Cross goods station.

Status
Not open for further replies.