• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can someone help? re Eastleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveetwo

Hi guys, hopiing someone has some info to help. Were considering a move to eastleigh and the property is close to the eastleigh railway line.
The nearest postcode is so50 4BW so is very close to the line.
Does anyone know just how busy this stretch of the track is and where there would be much goods wagon movements there.
Would the line pretty pretty much closed down at night or just a limited passenger service through that line?

Thanks in advance if you can throw any light on this for us.
Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Last passenger service seems to be about 1:20am, first just after 5:00am

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The passenger trains are mostly elctric and don't make much noise, the yard is big but not constantly busy and the prorty is set back from the line so the noise shouldn't be too obtrusive and i would expect the noise from Allbrook Road will be of greater nuisance value as it is quite a busy road.

Also bear in mind that the property is very close to the approach path for Eastleigh airport.

daveetwo

The passenger trains are mostly elctric and don't make much noise, the yard is big but not constantly busy and the prorty is set back from the line so the noise shouldn't be too obtrusive and i would expect the noise from Allbrook Road will be of greater nuisance value as it is quite a busy road.

Also bear in mind that the property is very close to the approach path for Eastleigh airport.

Thanks for the inputs so far guys.
I have considered the flight path. Any idea if all approaches are from the same direction or whether they change according to conditions?

Would the goods yard be a 24 hour activity albeit not constant?

Oracle

Established Member
The aircraft land according to wind direction. I once flew ciurcuits in a Piper PA.28 doing my usual training and the wind reversed direction mid-circuit. We did a 'tulip' which meant landing downwind, taking off and then doing a loop over Midanbury and then coming back in the opposite direction, prevailing direction!

daveetwo

The aircraft land according to wind direction. I once flew ciurcuits in a Piper PA.28 doing my usual training and the wind reversed direction mid-circuit. We did a 'tulip' which meant landing downwind, taking off and then doing a loop over Midanbury and then coming back in the opposite direction, prevailing direction!

I think the air traffic is less of a problem than trains potentially we were in a ground floor flat with 3 floors above that i think would be more likely to suffer rather more.

Im trying to do some ground work before actually visiting and seeing it for myself first hand.
Weve lived near a railline before in crewe and also lived next to the M3 and the motorway is much noisier and is nonstop.

TGV

Just to agree with the points above - the M3 will be more annoying than the airport and railway combined! It's non-stop, 24/7, it's very busy at the M3/M27 junction too. The airport is not a busy one. Railway - yes it's busy in terms of trains per hour, but they're not particularly fast there. Loudest ones would be Voyagers on XC services or container trains from the port to the Midlands via Basingstoke.

smiler52

you should be fine i know some one who lives right close on the runway and track and they are fine one night i did stay there and the train driver gave a toot on his horn about 1:30am just remember you have the last train just before 3 am and that's the 01:05 of Waterloo to Southampton a lot of the time its a bus the last passenger plane lands around 10 or so

fgwrich

Established Member
Well, as I work down there, think ill add my answer here too...

Eastleigh isn’t that bad a place, good connections by rail to Winchester, Salisbury & Southampton...

But, where the postcode given is, is between DBS's North yard, and Twyford road - one of the main roads in and out of Eastleigh...

Also, there is the airport which, stating the obvious, gets nosier the nearer you are to it... again, the postcode given is almost under the Flight Path - when they take off in that direction...

As for the noise of the railway, well, you will get the obvious noise from the passing trains - but the 450s & 444s shouldn’t create too much noise...the main noise would really be from freights & the unsurprising XC Voyager - which when stabling overnight in the DBS Depot, are constantly left running on Idle throughout the night...so dependant on where abouts you are in Eastleigh, they do create a drone sound... - looking at the postcode given on Google maps though, I very much doubt you’ll here the stabling voyagers from that end of the town...

Passing Night time trains - shouldnt bother you at all, i rareley hear any freights at night, and SWT services! None at all:o - last tain from London Waterloo is the 01:05, and is usally just a 4 car 450 anyway...so i certainly hear very little noise (in fact, i pretty much fail to hear them at all!)

Now, Onto the motorway - can't hear it... in Eastleigh, unless your near both motorways, you really dont hear them at all...

Sotton Airporty is quite a busy airport - no where as near busy as the likes of heathrow or stansted, but...it can have it's busy moments (plaines every 15 mins) but again, the sound depends on where abouts you are in the town...working by one of the yards you do obviously here them...And they can range from the Mid Sized Jet Engined, to the small single/double independantly owned / privitely owned plaines...

Advantages to Eastleigh - Youve got quite a good selection of open spaces around the town and you are vary close to the country...aswell as a good Rugby Club & sports ground on the opposite side of the yard - ie over the bridge y the railway station and past the newley opened Model Shop...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=so5...BR&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

What i suggest is that you go to the propertey, spend some time at the place ( ie a tbontb{To Buy Or Not To Buy} style test drive is best), check the road out at busy & less busy times...and really do your homework to see if the place is the right place for you...

So theres my bit anyway...Hope it's of any use to you...

Last edited:

daveetwo

We took a trip there this morning and spent some time both outside and inside the property.
A few planes went by but there were far enough so the side of us to be no problem at all, even outside.
Trains did go by but we hardly noticed, again even outside.
Once inside even though we did talk about both rail and air noise we heard nothing at all.
Windows open nothing of concern.
The motorway is no closer than where we are now which is also the M3 so i knew that wouldnt be a problem. Unless of course it gets closed and all the traffic diverted down twyford road! lol

All in all we came away pleased with the result of the visit.

Thanks to all the contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.