• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle to Stranraer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Long time reader, but first time poster.

I have been doing some checking and have found a fare between CAR and STR, code SFF called FlatFarePromo at £19 for the return (on brfares.com). I cannot find any information on restrictions, and despite my best efforts cannot book it on either eastcoast.co.uk or virgintrains.co.uk.
As I am looking into making this journey on Monday 17 September (both outward and return), I would appreciate any help and guidance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FlatFarePromo fares are also available for members of Scotrail's Advance loyalty scheme (not to be confused with the ticket type of the same name!), however it is unclear if travel from Carlisle is allowed on that scheme as, unlike the Club55 T&Cs, it does not specify Carlisle.

bkhtele

Stranraer Rail Travel Offer
You may also want to look at the thread about Stranraer in the NR forum, there is another offer from Glasgow & Ayr available on the Scotrail website.

Travel to Stranraer with our great value rail offer

Glasgow to Stranraer for only £15 return
Ayr to Stranraer for only £7.50 return

With these great fares, there has never been a better time to visit Stranraer. Plus, by taking the train, you can sit back, relax and enjoy some of the most tranquil valleys and serene coastlines in Scotland. Click here for more information about what you can see on the way to Stranraer.
About the offer
Which routes can I travel on?

This offer is available on the following routes:

Glasgow Central or Paisley Gilmour Street to Stranraer £15 return
Ayr / Maybole / Girvan or Barhill to Stranraer £7.50 return

Buy your promotional tickets to Stranraer

Click here to buy your tickets today. Promotional tickets are also available from staffed rail stations or by calling ScotRail Telesales direct on 08457 55 00 33.

When can I travel?

Outward travel is valid between 4 August and 30 September 2012 inclusive.
Return travel is valid for up to one month from the date shown on the outward portion of the ticket.
Promotional tickets are valid for travel anytime, any day of the week. (However please note that the connecting bus service picking up from Stranraer station will only operate on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays)
Promotional tickets are not subject to availability and do not need to be booked in advance.
Reservations are not required however customers can reserve a seat on reservable services on request.
Tickets are available to purchase in advance although travel is not valid until 4 August 2012.

Are there any time restrictions?

No, you can travel on any train within the dates stated above

Do discounts apply?

Children aged 5-15 can travel for £2 when accompanied with an adult who purchases a promotional ticket. Under 5s travel free on all ScotRail services.
No further railcard or concessionary discounts apply

Can I get a refund?

A full refund is available on unused tickets before the date of outward travel, subject to a £10 administration fee.

Thanks for the replies. Alas, not yet fiftyfive-plus, so looks like it will have to be the SVR after all.
Need to get the trip to Stranraer in before the line closes or is mothballed!

michael769

Established Member
FlatFarePromo fares are also available for members of Scotrail's Advance loyalty scheme (not to be confused with the ticket type of the same name!), however it is unclear if travel from Carlisle is allowed on that scheme as, unlike the Club55 T&Cs, it does not specify Carlisle.

I can confirm that the £19 fare is a Advance members offer. I have a voucher with the T&Cs in front of me.

It is only valid when accompanied by the user's Advance membership card (I have never been asked to produce mine when I have used these offers, but there is a first time for everything - I have been asked by confused guards how I got such low prices in the past). Offer is only valid for travel within Scotland, and can be used on the other ToCs.

Argosy

Thanks for the replies. Alas, not yet fiftyfive-plus, so looks like it will have to be the SVR after all.
Need to get the trip to Stranraer in before the line closes or is mothballed!

The line won't shut.....yet (aka 15 years):)

Status
Not open for further replies.