• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[CH] New Stadler units RABe512 in service

bahnause

The Stadler RABe512 trains are in regular service since 10 December 2023. The RABe512 is a slightly modernised version of the RABe511. The main differences are the new front ends in accordance with the latest crash norm, ETCS Baseline 3 and improved bogies. As the vehicles will be used for long-distance routes, they have a more comfortable interior. The order was for 60 six-car trains (150 metres).

The older RABe511 fleet consits of 69 6 car trains (150m) and 24 4 car trains (100m). The 4 car fleet and a few of the 6 car fleet are currently used for long distance routes. The 6 car units will be transferred to the regional services, the 4 car fleet interior will be upgraded to a similar standard of the RABe512 and recieve a software update (and an adapted couplers) to be used in multiple with the new units.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tester

The Stadler RABe512 trains are in regular service since 10 December 2023. The RABe512 is a slightly modernised version of the RABe511. The main differences are the new front ends in accordance with the latest crash norm, ETCS Baseline 3 and improved bogies. As the vehicles will be used for long-distance routes, they have a more comfortable interior. The order was for 60 six-car trains (150 metres).

The older RABe511 fleet consits of 69 6 car trains (150m) and 24 4 car trains (100m). The 4 car fleet and a few of the 6 car fleet are currently used for long distance routes. The 6 car units will be transferred to the regional services, the 4 car fleet interior will be upgraded to a similar standard of the RABe512 and recieve a software update (and an adapted couplers) to be used in multiple with the new units.
Interesting - what routes are they operating on?

bahnause

Interesting - what routes are they operating on?

Planned is:

From 2024
IR35 Bern - Zürich - Chur
IR36 Basel SBB - Zürich Airport
RE48 Zürich - Schaffhausen

From 2025
RE Olten - Luzern
IR36 Basel - Brugg - Zürich
IR37 Basel -Aarau - Zürich

From 2026
IR70 / IR13 Luzern - Zürich - St. Gallen - Sargans
S33 Annemasse - Martigny
RER Vaud S1/S2
IR55 Zürich - Biel

From 2027
IR70 Konstanz - Luzern

Tester

Planned is:

From 2024

From 2025
RE Olten - Luzern

From 2026
S33 Annemasse - Martigny
RER Vaud S1/S2
IR55 Zürich - Biel

From 2027
IR70 Konstanz - Luzern
Many thanks - I will have a chance to try some of these in the spring.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Planned is:

From 2024

From 2025
RE Olten - Luzern

From 2026
S33 Annemasse - Martigny
RER Vaud S1/S2
IR55 Zürich - Biel

From 2027
IR70 Konstanz - Luzern
Thanks for info, more routes to avoid!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
They're not great, but they aren't as bad as the awful IC2000 LHCS!

Why on earth a country with such scenery goes with such tiny windowed stock I have no idea.

EWIV are the best for nice aligned windows, followed by the Eurocity stock. But this thread is about the units, which in my eyes look fine for Swiss rails in the 2020s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You‘re choosing the wrong seat. The window is certainly big enough! ;)

I doubt they would let me sit there! :D

EWIV are the best for nice aligned windows, followed by the Eurocity stock. But this thread is about the units, which in my eyes look fine for Swiss rails in the 2020s.

They're functional, but they're not nice. I will admit to disliking all double deck stock to be fair, but at least the Bombardier LHCS (e.g. DB IC2) has big windows and wider seats.

Austriantrain

Established Member
I will admit to disliking all double deck stock to be fair,

With the increase of noise protection walls along railway lines in many countries, very often the upper deck on DD stock is the only place left on a train that has a decent view. ;)

DanielB

Why on earth a country with such scenery goes with such tiny windowed stock I have no idea.
The routes on which the RABe512 is planned to run according to the earlier post are not the most scenic ones however.

And although the current loco hauled consists at the IR36 and IR37 are very comfortable they do show their age. They were quite busy as well, even during the summer holidays in which I used those services, so replacing them with double deck stock makes sense.

Austriantrain

Established Member
The routes on which the RABe512 is planned to run according to the earlier post are not the most scenic ones however.

And although the current loco hauled consists at the IR36 and IR37 are very comfortable they do show their age. They were quite busy as well, even during the summer holidays in which I used those services, so replacing them with double deck stock makes sense.

And also, apart from a very few lines, Swiss railways are not run for tourists, but rather for fare and tax-paying Swiss residents, who generally don’t chose to take the train because of the views.

(Sorry for the rant, but it sometimes gets forgotten on the forum that on the continent, our railway systems are run for the people who live here - just like in the UK).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Similar (if not those specific ones) do run on the line through Vevey and Montreux, though, which in my view is one of the most stunningly scenic mainlines in the world.

Gordon

I beg to differ somewhat:

IR35 Bern - Zürich - Chur: runs via the old line Bern - Zurich ie very nice 'Swiss farmland/valley' scenery; Zurich - Chur: Zurichsee and Walensee plus mountain views - one of my favourite scenic runs! - eg: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f3/d6/07/f3d6073044eb9f7f525cad984808d23a.jpg

IR36 Basel SBB - Zürich Airport - Bozberg route - so pretty scenic through the Jura and then via the Limmattal (Brugg - Wettingen - Killwangen)
RE48 Zürich - Schaffhausen: Pretty scenic IMO - Typical pleasant rural Swiss views plus spectacular Eglisau viaduct and views of the Rhein Falls

From 2025
RE Olten - Luzern: pleasantly rural scenery
IR36 Basel - Brugg - Zürich - duplicate of above - same route so I assume its 'some 512 from 2024', then 'all 512 from 2025'

From 2026
IR70 / IR13 Luzern - Zürich - St. Gallen - Sargans: plenty of 'typical' Swiss rural scenery to St Gallen then scenic Rhine valley round to Sargans with mountain views
S33 Annemasse - Martigny: Views of Jura mountains Geneve - Lausanne; mountains and lakeside Lausanne - Aigle; mountains Aigle - Martigny
RER Vaud S1/S2: Castles, bucolic scenery, Lake Geneva - pretty scenic

DanielB

I'm not saying they're not scenic, but only they're not the most scenic. There's hardly any non-scenic route in Switzerland, even an S-bahn may offer pretty views.