• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest STA-LDS - but have STA-BHM season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hello,

I'm looking to see if there's a cheapish, reasonable ticket available on a STA-LDS return ticket.

Date of travel (outbound and return has to be on same day) is EITHER 31st of January or 28th of February - don't really mind.

Whichever day it is, I need to get to LDS by about 10:00am, 10:30 latest. I can return any time after 17:20 or so.

I have a season ticket STA-BHM valid for both dates, so can travel anywhere between these stations along the BV routeing map (e.g. to TAM). I have a 16-25 Railcard.

I was thinking along the lines of either getting an anytime "via MAN" return, at £45.55. But is there a cheaper alternative? I don't want to get an advance if it only saves me a few ££, but if there's a fair saving to be made I'd be happy to do that. I've looked on various booking engines - National Rail, VTWC and TrainSplit, but none of them have shown up anything significantly cheaper, even if I only buy from TAM (as I am entitled to, thanks to the season ticket).

If there's any (valid) tricks I can pull WRT the Routeing Guide or split tickets, I definitely wouldn't mind pulling these, the railways extract enough money from me as it is!

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
There is a good trick which I will try to PM you about if I have time later.

My advice right now would be to go to https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/special-offers/january-sale and click the orange button. There is good availability of £3.70 or £4.70 (with railcard) singles between Manchester and Leeds all day on 28th Feb. For example you could arrive at 0936 and depart at 1636 for a total of £8.40. 1st Class comes in at around £15 return so I would consider upgrading for that price.

There is a Stafford to Manchester Anytime Day Return for £16.95 (with railcard), which is not bad value.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks! I would very much appreciate whatever trick(s) you can teach me!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Bumping up this thread - if no-one else has any other suggestions, I'll go ahead and book as suggested in Starmill's reply (as (s)he hasn't sent anything via PM - I'm grateful nevertheless).

Status
Not open for further replies.