• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest ticket Liverpool Airport to Formby

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Disabled Person's Railcard held. Journey will be mid January. So the rail fares will increase in January. I am not sure when the bus and PTE ticket prices will increase however.

Currently coming up with:
Liverpool Airport Bus to Formby Anytime Day Single £8.05 - no railcard discount offered
Arriva Merseyside Plus Day Saver £4.40 (bus only, no time restrictions, operator restriction)
All Zone Saveaway (after 9.30am, bus and train allowed) £5.30
Solo one day ticket (bus only, no time restrictions) £4.80
Liverpool Plus Bus £2.60 (with railcard) + Liverpool Stations to Formby Anytime Day Single (with railcard) £3.45 = £6.05

So it looks like the Saveaway is the best option if travelling after 9.30am. Have I missed anything else guys?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks. I'm assuming the £1.30 ticket cannot be purchased online or at the airport? So would have to be from a booking office before travel?

tony_mac

Established Member
It looks like you can buy online, e.g. from Virgin Trains. (or other trainline powered site)
beware though, you should book soon, as 'Seats are going fast!' ;)

JBuchananGB

If you hold an English Concessionary Bus pass, as you might do, if you have a Disabled Persons Railcard, then that would cover the bus fare. The 2019 Anytime single from LPY to Formby seems to be £4.15.
An off-peak day return from Halewood to Formby, with railcard is £3.50 and would be valid for travel from Liverpool South Parkway to Formby. Combine that with the £1.30 bus ticket, or use bus pass and you have a deal.

If you live in Merseyside this may be helpful.

https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/Tickets/concessions/Pages/Disabled.aspx
You may qualify for a Merseytravel National Travel Pass if you have certain disabilities which are permanent or are long-lasting (defined by the Department for Transport as having lasted 12 months, or likely to last 12 months, or likely to recur).

The pass will allow you to travel on buses, trains and Mersey Ferries in Merseyside at any time, Mondays to Sundays.

Last edited:

M28361M

Disabled Person's Railcard held. Journey will be mid January. So the rail fares will increase in January. I am not sure when the bus and PTE ticket prices will increase however.

Merseytravel put their prices up on January 2nd in line with the railway and a Saveaway will go up to £5.40. Solo prices are frozen for the time being, but may increase later in the year. Don't forget Saveaway requires a Walrus card and can only be bought on the day of travel or the day before, unless you buy it as a paper ticket from a (non-Merseyrail) railway ticket office. If you have a Walrus card already, I believe the Spar shop at Liverpool Airport can load tickets onto Walrus.

You say you're travelling mid-January, so be aware that from 19-27 January inclusive the Northern Line through Liverpool South Parkway is closed due to engineering works. Also on 6th and 13th January there are Sunday engineering works between Liverpool Central and Seaforth & Litherland.

gray1404

Established Member
Hi guys. Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I am travelling on this journey and I hold a Disabled Person's Railcard and a Merseytravel Concessionary Travel Pass. However, my friend travelling with me doesn't hold anything so it is for him I am looking at the best fare. We don't have an exact date yet or time as he is yet to book his flight and I am to pick him up from the airport.

I do indeed have a Walrus card spare so that is handy. I had overlooked the engineering work. If the line happens to be closed between Liverpool and Hunts Cross then it will be quicker to board a bus at the airport for the city centre and change there for a service to Formby. Likewise, if it happens to be on a Sunday when the line between Liverpool and Seaforth I think we will just do the journey by bus throughout (i.e. Airport - Liverpool then Liverpool - Formby by normal bus).

JBuchananGB

There is information elsewhere about the difference between a Merseytravel “Saveaway” and a Merseyrail “Day Saver”, neither of which offer any concession to railcard holders. So there is the anomaly that by buying a railcard discounted ticket from Halewood to Formby a railcard holder can save a couple of quid, for journey from LPY to Formby. A holder of an English bus pass issued in any county can use it to travel free on the buses in Merseyside. I used both my Lancashire issued bus pass, and the ticketing anomaly with senior railcard this week for a trip to Liverpool.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Merseytravel put their prices up on January 2nd in line with the railway and a Saveaway will go up to £5.40. Solo prices are frozen for the time being, but may increase later in the year. Don't forget Saveaway requires a Walrus card and can only be bought on the day of travel or the day before, unless you buy it as a paper ticket from a (non-Merseyrail) railway ticket office. If you have a Walrus card already, I believe the Spar shop at Liverpool Airport can load tickets onto Walrus.

Liverpool Lime Street, not a MerseyRail station, will still sell you a paper Saveaway ticket. Well at least they did for Geoff "all the stations" Marshall. See @ 3:45

Status
Not open for further replies.