• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest way to travel from Liverpool to Reading using train and free bus pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Traveline is sometimes pessimistic for longer journeys like that - I think it has a maximum number of changes or maximum journey time built into the system. I'm certain that it can be done, though rather inadvisable!
Good point. DB is similar, max 8 changes IIRC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Virtually any journey can be done entirely using local bus services - for this journey you might change at Chester, Crewe, Hanley, Stafford, Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Coventry, Rugby, Daventry, Banbury, and Oxford, but there are obviously near enough infinitely many variations on that route.

However, the journey time would be incredibly long, making it very impractical even with a free pass. And I doubt you could do a journey of that length in a single day, given a few of those are hourly services.

I wouldn't go via Wolverhampton, it can be quicker Stafford-Cannock-Birmingham, & i think there's more buses via Cannock too, the X8 Wolverhampton-Birmingham takes about 90 minutes alone, although the X51 takes 80 minutes Cannock-Birmingham

The bus Stafford-Wolverhampton has been cut, NXWM don't seem operate the route anymore, & current operator only has a handful of through journey's Monday to Friday only, even then they can take 85-95 minutes

gray1404

Established Member
So is Milton Keynes the best station to head to by train, given the good ticket price, for this journey before switching to my free bus pass? Or is there a better alternative?

Statto

Established Member

gray1404

Established Member
How about train Liverpool-Hemel Hempstead instead, you can get some good deals on LNW, if you don't mind not using Avanti WC, then bus, Carousel, 1 Hemel-High Wycombe, & Arriva 800/850 High Wycombe-Reading

Carousel 1 timetable

Arriva 800/850 timetable

Thank you. I'll look into this. I'm actually torn between Hemel Hempstead or Watford Junction so I'll check if the onward connections from Watford are any better.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.