• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Day Ranger outing

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
I've used the ticket before and i think it's great value for money, so decided to buy one again today.

Originally I planned to get the 2:40pm EMT from Sheffield to Manchester Picc, however I had great difficulty getting the ticket office to sell me one, and they flat out refused as apparently they don't sell it (even though they've sold me one before). Then to add insult to injury I asked the guard if i can purchase it on board, as per the NRCoC seen as Sheff didn't/couldn't/wouldn't sell it me, but he said 'This is South Yorkshire. Cheshire is the Wirral, Chester, yano (duh)'.

Anyway I boarded the 3:11pm TPE from Sheffield to Stockport, formed of 185136. At Stockport, I had a quick change to buy the day ranger and get back on track with my intended journey.

I then boarded the 4:04pm Virgin Trains service down to Crewe which was an 11-car Pendolino (390039). I have to say, they're slightly growing on me recently :|

I factored in a 20 minute gap at Crewe so I could run down to the bottom of the station car park and take a photo of the APT and other heritage stock which is just visible, then hopped onboard an unknown Merseyrail Class 508 to Lime Street.

Sadly I boarded 319378 to travel from Lime Street to Newton-le-Willows. 'If you've boarded at a station with ticket purchasing facilities, we can only sell you the range of undiscounted fares onboard' was heard every 5 minutes <(

My first ATW experience, and a short one with 175003 down to Warrington BQ (175's stand very high above the platform!) and then another pendolino (390141) back to Crewe.

More 175-ing with a hop on the 8:10pm Crewe to Whitchurch (175003), and the subsequent 9:13pm Whitchurch to Stockport (175009). From there I got 220033 to Piccadilly and 323231 to the Airport. Got to admit I love the sound of the first 10-20mph of the 323 motors.

And finally I took 185141 from the Airport to Sheffield. This was kind of the point of the trip, as it takes a different route between Manchester and Sheffield, via Huddersfield and Wakefield, and the goods line between Rotherham and Sheffield. Arriving 10 minutes late in Sheffield due to being stuck behind another 185 at Huddersfield on its way to York, my trip ended at 1:33am.

Pretty good value for £15.20 with my 16-25 railcard ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
A late start mate but a good read however no 142s???? A day ranger is not complete without a journey on a 142 ;)

390039 is a 9 car pendo not 11 - I don't mean to be pedantic I'm just trying to help you , a great read nonetheless

South Pennines day ranger is another good value ticket with a railcard

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good day, although are you sure it was a Merseyrail 508 you caught from Crewe to Liverpool?

Bad news on the ticket office at Sheffield being awkward

_toommm_

Established Member
A late start mate but a good read however no 142s???? A day ranger is not complete without a journey on a 142 ;)

390039 is a 9 car pendo not 11 - I don't mean to be pedantic I'm just trying to help you , a great read nonetheless

South Pennines day ranger is another good value ticket with a railcard

Late start as it was A level results day and I was waiting for my offers from UCAS ??????. I live in Sheffield so I get enough 142s with my travelmaster monthly ticket

Don't worry about the 9-car thing. Every little helps or so they say

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Sounded like a good day, although are you sure it was a Merseyrail 508 you caught from Crewe to Liverpool?

Bad news on the ticket office at Sheffield being awkward

Yeah defo a 508. I didn't quite catch the unit number due to a tight connection at Lime Street

dave87016

Established Member
Yeah defo a 508. I didn't quite catch the unit number due to a tight connection at Lime Street

508's don't run to/from Crewe at all - they are Merseyrail electric sets mate so not sure what you got from Crewe - Liverpool only direct trains that line are Virgin Pendos

_toommm_

Established Member
508's don't run to/from Crewe at all - they are Merseyrail electric sets mate so not sure what you got from Crewe - Liverpool only direct trains that line are Virgin Pendos

I've just realised I've missed out my Cross-country journey from Crewe to Chester, where I got the Merseyrail

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the Trip Reporters Club!

Hope you got the results you wanted with the A levels :)

That freight line I'm trying to figure out exactly which one it is, runs alongside Supertram in part? Certainly a very interesting afternoon/evening out!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Welcome to the Trip Reporters Club!

Hope you got the results you wanted with the A levels :)

That freight line I'm trying to figure out exactly which one it is, runs alongside Supertram in part? Certainly a very interesting afternoon/evening out!

I believe is it one of the freight lines we did on the Yorkshire Byways tour a couple years ago

shredder1

Established Member
Many thanks for the report and as Tech says, welcome to the club. You had a very late start though, I`m usually on my way home by then :lol:

_toommm_

Established Member
Many thanks for the report and as Tech says, welcome to the club. You had a very late start though, I`m usually on my way home by then :lol:

Bit of a combination of a level results day and buses not appearing when they should in the village that I live in

woodhouse122

Looks like a good afternoons run on the cheshire day ranger. I've never had any problems buying rovers and rangers at sheffield so you must have been unlucky when you tried to buy one (I've bought cheshire,lancashire and lincolnshire day rangers with not too many problems :) )

AY1975

Established Member
Looks like a good afternoons run on the cheshire day ranger. I've never had any problems buying rovers and rangers at sheffield so you must have been unlucky when you tried to buy one (I've bought cheshire,lancashire and lincolnshire day rangers with not too many problems :) )

Are all stations obliged to sell all National Rail rover tickets, whether they are valid from that station or not? I would have thought that they'd only be obliged to sell rovers that are valid there.

woodhouse122

Are all stations obliged to sell all National Rail rover tickets, whether they are valid from that station or not? I would have thought that they'd only be obliged to sell rovers that are valid there.
you can buy any rover or ranger at any staffed station,not sure if they can refuse to sell you any national rail ticket (i had no problems buying a explore south wales rover from sheffield a few weeks ago :) )

_toommm_

Established Member

I've bought one from them before no problems once I explained that I has a ticket to Stockport and was using the ranger from there, but this time they said they coudlnt sell it and were asking me for the code for it

Established Member

They should do. I've purchased all my rovers at Newcastle. Well I say all, they couldn't find an SPT Roundabout ticket. Mind you, getting my FoSS at Newcastle, it completely bamboozled one bloke on the Gateline at Southampton. The ticket wouldn't open the gate and the complete knacker was convinced it was an invalid ticket, telling me the ticket isn't valid from Newcastle. Thankfully someone with sense came over and looked at it and let me through. If you have a smart phone, I've put the GB railrover guide on my home screen on my phone and just show them the rover I want.

Kite159

Veteran Member
They should do. I've purchased all my rovers at Newcastle. Well I say all, they couldn't find an SPT Roundabout ticket. Mind you, getting my FoSS at Newcastle, it completely bamboozled one bloke on the Gateline at Southampton. The ticket wouldn't open the gate and the complete knacker was convinced it was an invalid ticket, telling me the ticket isn't valid from Newcastle. Thankfully someone with sense came over and looked at it and let me through. If you have a smart phone, I've put the GB railrover guide on my home screen on my phone and just show them the rover I want.

I believe the Roundabout ticket is under the "point to point" section, Glasgow Stations to 'Roundabout' hence why at one time you could purchase from a TVM within the area (which saved time queuing at the ticket office)

Status
Not open for further replies.