• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern/TIL Traveling without valid ticket letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhNoIMessedUp

Hey everyone, first time posting on this forum, just received a letter in the mail about my not having a valid ticket 2 months ago. My railcard was expired when being checked by one of the attendants. I know this was dumb and I'm willing to pay the fine.
Just wanted to ask how much is the fine usually from Chiltern, and what their usual process is.

Cheers.

(p.s I immediately bought/renewed my railcard afterwards if that helps)

photo_2023-05-04_18-10-41.jpg

Here's the letter if it helps! Would love some help in drafting a letter to TIL/Chiltern.

Here's also a draft to TIL if anyone is happy to review it:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to me receiving a letter regarding me failing to produce a valid rail ticket for a journey from Aylesbury to London Marylebone on 25th February, 2023. On that day, I was asked by an attendant to show my ticket and railcard for the journey. I had purchased a two-way ticket from Aylesbury to Marylebone under the 16-25 railcard but my 16-25 Railcard had expired and I had forgotten to renew it.

I accept full responsibility for my error. Firstly, I should have checked that my railcard was in date. I deeply regret my disorganisation which led to this incident and it was an honest mistake. Please accept my apology for this.

Immediately after the incident, I renewed my railcard with a 3 year extension. I also have set a reminder on my calendar near the date of expiry of the railcard to renew it so that a repeat of this incident does not happen again. My new railcard number is XXXXXXXXXXXX, I can also provide a receipt for purchasing the railcard if it would help.

On the journey back to Alyesbury, though I had an open return ticket, I still purchased a new single ticket without the railcard discount as I did not want to do the same mistake again. This is and will be the first and last time that I use an expired railcard for a journney.

I am happy to pay the pay the fare owed due my error and I am happy to cover the expense incurred to your company to forward this case to the prosecution team.

Many thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,

my name.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
That letter seems good. Bear in mind if Transport Investigations Limited are looking at it you might have to write to them a couple of times before they are persuaded to settle out of court.

OhNoIMessedUp

That letter seems good. Bear in mind if Transport Investigations Limited are looking at it you might have to write to them a couple of times before they are persuaded to settle out of court.
Thanks for the reply mate, how do you mean to write a couple times? Like the same content in my first letter over and over?

Thanks again

gray1404

Established Member
Exactly that's. It can be frustrating but that particular company seem to ignore the first request or even the second request to settle so you have to keep making your case a few times before they agree.

OhNoIMessedUp

Exactly that's. It can be frustrating but that particular company seem to ignore the first request or even the second request to settle so you have to keep making your case a few times before they agree.
Well guess that's a few more months of extra stressed tacked on. Fun times. But nonetheless thanks for the advice mate, I'll get this sent off in the morning and I'll keep you all notified.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply mate, how do you mean to write a couple times? Like the same content in my first letter over and over?

Thanks again
Not exactly the same content, no. But it does often take 2-3 letters. Come back to us if and when you get a reply and people can advise then.

OhNoIMessedUp

Not exactly the same content, no. But it does often take 2-3 letters. Come back to us if and when you get a reply and people can advise then.
Will do, thanks for the reply.
And from my brief time on this forum so far, people do seem very knowledgeable and helpful!

gray1404

Established Member
I would also add for you not to be put off by the serious tone of their letters or the rejectionary language they may use. They use phrases like "we see no reason not to proceed with a prosecution..." even though you may have written into often mitigation. Do not let this phase you.

OhNoIMessedUp

I would also add for you not to be put off by the serious tone of their letters or the rejectionary language they may use. They use phrases like "we see no reason not to proceed with a prosecution..." even though you may have written into often mitigation. Do not let this phase you.
understood, from what I've seen so far on this forum, those letters seem like automated/copy-pasted letters?

(p.s One further thing: the letter mentions I can scan in my letter and send it in for email, as I will be typing out the letter anyways, would me sending it via email or via actual mail have a difference?)

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
Makes no difference if you email at or send it in the post.

Exactly they are copy paste letters which they may amend ever so slightly to suit the situation.

OhNoIMessedUp

Makes no difference if you email at or send it in the post.

Exactly they are copy paste letters which they may amend ever so slightly to suit the situation.
Right, guess I'll email then, just to make sure there's no mistake in the letter actually getting there. Would they usually reply with a confirmation on receiving the letter? Cheers again.

gray1404

Established Member
People have been known to have to wait a few weeks to receive a reply to a letter they have sent in.

OhNoIMessedUp

UPDATE: Just received a letter in the mail and TIL was happy for me to pay 99 pounds to discontinue the case.
Thanks to everyone that helped me with the letter and questions.

Haywain

Veteran Member
UPDATE: Just received a letter in the mail and TIL was happy for me to pay 99 pounds to discontinue the case.
Thanks to everyone that helped me with the letter and questions.
That's a good result. Thanks for letting us know.
Bear in mind if Transport Investigations Limited are looking at it you might have to write to them a couple of times before they are persuaded to settle out of court.
This doesn't seem to be happening now as much as it used to.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That’s a good outcome. Thanks for letting us know. This was a fairly simple bylaw matter and nothing like short faring or doughnutting though, which is perhaps why this one was concluded more quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.