• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Choosing exact trains for an advance journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevasleep

I'd like to know if its possible to choose an exact train for a connection.
I've tried altering the 'interchange time' on national rail's JP, which comes close but isn't perfect. Would it be possible at a booking office, to request two specific trains for a single journey, as long as the interchange time is < 120 minutes?

Travelling from Newport (S.Wales) to Chelmsford in late Feb.
Thinking about the 1209 to Pad and the 1614 or 1632 to Chelmsford, so I can spend a bit more time crossing London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
I'd like to know if its possible to choose an exact train for a connection.
I've tried altering the 'interchange time' on national rail's JP, which comes close but isn't perfect. Would it be possible at a booking office, to request two specific trains for a single journey, as long as the interchange time is < 120 minutes?

Travelling from Newport (S.Wales) to Chelmsford in late Feb.
Thinking about the 1209 to Pad and the 1614 or 1632 to Chelmsford, so I can spend a bit more time in London. ;)

Those should be unreservable connecting services - you won't get a coupon for them - so you can take "any reasonable connecting service", or words to that effect, and the one they give you is only a suggestion.

Many guards won't even ask to see your reservation for the train into Paddington, fewer will take the time to work out when you should be on that particular train, even fewer would check to see if the earlier train arrived on-time, and it is only really an issue if you take lots longer in London than anticipated. The official line is you should go straight to Liverpool St, but the definition of "reasonable" can be quite generously interpreted.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed, there is no reservation from Liverpool St - Chelmsford available as these trains are non-reservable.

Transfer across London by LU is permitted (included as part of the ticket) but not compulsory. You may take a bus/taxi (at extra cost) or you may walk (which would take a while) or cycle across.

Break of journey is not permitted, but exiting a station is not a break of journey where you are exiting to transfer to another station (as defined in the NRCoC).

Status
Not open for further replies.