• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
2402 went to Wolverton on 16th May if that's any help. Whether it was started on straight away (and left as soon as finished) I don't know.
Oh, quite a while then. I was trying to remember how long the 455s took, not that they’re too similar of course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
No 442s in service. Occasionally they’ll move from Portsmouth DCS to Fratton. Is it just me or is the tail lamp on the video of the 57 move not flashing?

Don Steedy

2402 went to Wolverton on 16th May if that's any help. Whether it was started on straight away (and left as soon as finished) I don't know.

2402 already had the AC traction conversion completed prior to departing Eastleigh. Went to Wolverton for further work related to the traction conversion as did 2419

HstFan33

I presume then that the 57 movement today back to Wolverton is not running as not left Bournemouth yet and was due off at 06:35 Can anyone confirm if this has been cancelled please. Cheers

spark001uk

Established Member
I presume then that the 57 movement today back to Wolverton is not running as not left Bournemouth yet and was due off at 06:35 Can anyone confirm if this has been cancelled please. Cheers
It's just left Bournemouth depot, quite a bit late. But it's on the move now.
57312 + 2413.

DelW

Established Member
No 442s in service. Occasionally they’ll move from Portsmouth DCS to Fratton. Is it just me or is the tail lamp on the video of the 57 move not flashing?
LED lights often don't show up on video, as the flashes may be out of sync with the camera frames.

Rick1984

There were two 442s parked up in a siding just below the high level platforms of Portsmouth and Southsea today. Is that normal, or can anyone tell me why they were there please?
Any time I've passed by that way there's been 442's sitting there and as said occasionally one moving to/from the depot

Matt Taylor

Established Member
2404/2406/2417/2423 are still ticking over and swapping between Fratton and Southsea every day or two, of the remaining units I've heard no suggestion of a return before December and by then it'll be AC traction motored units only I expect as the DC traction has thus far not been a huge success for various reasons.

2401 meanwhile is still lurking at the east end of Eastleigh looking very forlorn.

Phil Scott

At a guess the railway heritage committee has un-designated it, they do that from time to time.
It's possible. Last time I checked the RHC website I couldn't see that it had been de-designated.

Was 2401 designated in the first place as just an example of a Class 442, or specifically because it holds the third-rail speed record?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Domh245

Established Member
Remember that being designated doesn't mean it has to go into preservation, it only means that if Angel want to get rid of it, they have to notify the board of trustees of the science museum first. It is entirely possible for said board to accept the scrapping of something on the list should they wish - the fact that 401 looks like it does suggest they might have made that decision.

pompeyfan

Established Member
worth mentioning that the DMC, as apposed to the DMS still has all its doors in place.

RichSwitch

Out of interest, does anyone know what air conditioning systems the 442s have (manufacturer and type if known)? With the continuing concern about air conditioning potentially being a factor in the spread of Covid19 I’m guessing the 442s meet any requirements set down by the JBC to prevent the spread of the virus.
I would imagine the 442s have HVAC systems. What I am not sure about is whether air is just recycled around the system, or whether fresh air is induced and stale air exhausted. Whether or not air con on trains is now perceived to be safe by passengers will impact how quickly they return to using them. If passengers don’t feel safe they’ll stay away.
That (continuing lack of passengers) in itself could affect whether the 442s will actually be needed or whether there will be sufficient Desiros to cover services in the new normal.
Getting back on topic... Did the 442s need dispensation to run beyond 1st January 2020? And if so, how long does this dispensation last?
Also am I right in thinking retractioned units will need to be tested and accepted before they re-enter service? That and training being the case, I’d suggest December 2020 is looking tight for their re-introduction into service.

theironroad

Established Member
Out of interest, does anyone know what air conditioning systems the 442s have (manufacturer and type if known)? With the continuing concern about air conditioning potentially being a factor in the spread of Covid19 I’m guessing the 442s meet any requirements set down by the JBC to prevent the spread of the virus.
I would imagine the 442s have HVAC systems. What I am not sure about is whether air is just recycled around the system, or whether fresh air is induced and stale air exhausted. Whether or not air con on trains is now perceived to be safe by passengers will impact how quickly they return to using them. If passengers don’t feel safe they’ll stay away.
That (continuing lack of passengers) in itself could affect whether the 442s will actually be needed or whether there will be sufficient Desiros to cover services in the new normal.
Getting back on topic... Did the 442s need dispensation to run beyond 1st January 2020? And if so, how long does this dispensation last?
Also am I right in thinking retractioned units will need to be tested and accepted before they re-enter service? That and training being the case, I’d suggest December 2020 is looking tight for their re-introduction into service.

Full PRM dispensation was issued in December last year and lasts until the 18 August 2024 (franchise end )

Dispensation only applies while they remain on swr network.

Yes testing will need to be done when ac work done.

Driver conversion training will need to be done

Guard refresher training will need to be done, especially if not coming back until December TT, but I've not seen any proposed date.

Only current date seems to be the current emergency (85%) TT will run until September 4 and 442 not needed for that.

VEP3417

2020 being the year everyone decided to get rid of all their old stock, heritage places are probably overflowing with offers of things to save so probably have to turn things away sadly

Status
Not open for further replies.