• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran1990

There was some talk on here on there being 4 units bought back into service sooner than expected. Self contained on 2x Pompey fast diagrams. Allowing 444s & 450s referbs to begin sooner. Unsure if they'll be spruced up before or not
But it was only talk not confirmed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
There was some talk on here on there being 4 units bought back into service sooner than expected. Self contained on 2x Pompey fast diagrams. Allowing 444s & 450s referbs to begin sooner. Unsure if they'll be spruced up before or not
But it was only talk not confirmed

Better get a considerable number of drivers and trainers retrained on them then. None at the moment as far as I am aware.

aleggatta

Having been DOO on GTR, do they need mods to reinstate guarded working?

some guards panels had the release buttons covered on the guards panels, as they were not DOO on the stoppers to Brighton, and was southern's policy for driver release, however not all of them were covered, and I believe it was mainly the guards van buttons that were covered.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Are there many drivers and guards at SWR who used to work them back when they used to be used by SWTs?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
There's quite a lot about, but because of the length of time since we last worked them and because there may be some modifications to the units carried out under the auspices of SN that we don't know about either.

So we'll need to have complete retraining on them. (Yes, I did work them, along with at least 3 other drivers at my depot)

pompeyfan

Established Member
There's quite a lot about, but because of the length of time since we last worked them and because there may be some modifications to the units carried out under the auspices of SN that we don't know about either.

So we'll need to have complete retraining on them. (Yes, I did work them, along with at least 3 other drivers at my depot)

There's a surprising amount of old hands that now drive and either used to drive or guard them. Many remember them fondly, others hated them. Seems like they were like marmite on the PDL.

I wonder if there is any capacity to introduce the rumoured first stop Godalming/Haslemere by bringing in more units than they need to, if indeed December 17 has been highlighted, bring in 4 units, but refurb 2 at a time? It's safe to say no one on the coal face has a factual account of what is to happen.

For the record I'm also in favour of first stop Winchester/Salisbury too in the interests of balancing passenger loadings.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Guildford is a mandatory call.

In which sense if you don't mind me asking? Mandatory as in franchise spec, mandatory in terms of previous accidents (Salisbury for example) or something else? In times of disruption services have been instructed to skip Guildford (I've worked them). Just curious as I was unaware of the above.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Once SWR are ready to start doing test/trial runs with them (either before or after the retraction and refurb), will the test runs be only on the Waterloo-Portsmouth route?

pompeyfan

Established Member
It depends on where the paths are and which routes the driver trainers sign. Personally think you'll see them on the mainline west of Poole and on the direct, possibly the New line too.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
It depends on where the paths are and which routes the driver trainers sign. Personally think you'll see them on the mainline west of Poole and on the direct, possibly the New line too.

Don't forget that there's a power restriction West of Poole which limits the number of trains that you can run down there.

Class455

Established Member
I believe I have just seen a 442 at Selhurst Depot in the sidings. Wonder why it's there?

FenMan

Established Member
Guildford is a mandatory call.

Quite. Guildford is an interchange as well as a destination. Passengers travelling to North Downs Line stations from Gomshall to Crowthorne would not be happy if a Guildford stop was omitted.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Only if someone sticks litter and other detritus in the heating and air-conditioning vents or you don't give them enough TLC.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Quite. Guildford is an interchange as well as a destination. Passengers travelling to North Downs Line stations from Gomshall to Crowthorne would not be happy if a Guildford stop was omitted.

Well we did used to have 1P00 and 1P52? which used to be last & first call Haslemere, before the naff timetable we have now came into being.

aar0

It seems First have been planning the 442 move for a while... I saw this on a GWR HST last week:
20170911_201439, on Flickr
(Photograph shows an open bin in an HST, with "Class 442 Vestibule" stamped on the bag).

Status
Not open for further replies.