• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 59 59003 - any developments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRXsouth

Does anyone know if there have been any developments in the status of 59003 - has it got a future?
I am aware that it took part in the recovery of the units involved in the Salisbury tunnel incident, but how did the loco get to Eastleigh - did it run by itself, was it towed by another loco or moved by road?
Indeed, what are the nature of its faults? Quite a time has now passed for assessment so is it going to be repaired and returned to traffic? Presumably parts are available as the rest of the class is still going strong, but does it actually come down to whether GBRf still need a solitary Class 59?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is lined up for use as part of East Coast freight ETCS fitments?

TRXsouth

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is lined up for use as part of East Coast freight ETCS fitments?
Thank you for that information - I have now read about the ‘East Coast Digital Programme’ on various websites including Network Rail’s. Digital signalling is coming to the route between Kings Cross and Grantham’s Stoke Tunnels so Peterborough would provide a focal point with its GBRf depot to host 59003 trialling ETCS plus adjacent HQ building offering its training simulators.

Great to hear that this loco has a future - could Eastleigh’s repairs to 59003 be concluded with a refreshed livery publicising the ECDP? Can anyone still help regarding the loco’s move from Salisbury to Eastleigh, and what needs to be fixed?

fgwrich

Established Member
Thank you for that information - I have now read about the ‘East Coast Digital Programme’ on various websites including Network Rail’s. Digital signalling is coming to the route between Kings Cross and Grantham’s Stoke Tunnels so Peterborough would provide a focal point with its GBRf depot to host 59003 trialling ETCS plus adjacent HQ building offering its training simulators.

Great to hear that this loco has a future - could Eastleigh’s repairs to 59003 be concluded with a refreshed livery publicising the ECDP? Can anyone still help regarding the loco’s move from Salisbury to Eastleigh, and what needs to be fixed?
Well, it needs (and has been awaiting ever since Salisbury) some new wheels for a start. Though it is now up on jacks inside the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.