• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Common sense prevailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
As a counterpoint to the most over the top restrictions thread, I thought it might be nice to shine a little ray of light on things which suggest we might be getting our collective sense back.

I was cheered to see today that the self-service bread slicing machine has returned in my local supermarket. It was removed in April "to keep out staff and customers safe in these times".

It's only a small thing, but hopefully the thin edge of the wedge for a return to sense instead of silly rules and measures.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Not so, used it myself and everything. And there wasn't any hand sanitizer nearby mwahahahhaha!

squizzler

Established Member
The transport network has been much more accommodating of traffic relative to the first 'lockdown' even though the situation now is arguably more disturbing than that in March.

Incidentally, since the supermarket breadcutter is the benchmark set by the OP, this thread should have been titled 'best things since self-sliced bread'.

duncanp

Established Member
There is not as much queuing to get into the supermarket as back in March, and above all no "clapping for the NHS" every Thursday at 8pm.

adc82140

Established Member
and above all no "clapping for the NHS" every Thursday at 8pm.
That never sat well with me (I'm front line clinical NHS). We pay taxes to fund it, the staff are not press ganged in to working for it. There is job security. Pay is actually OK compared to a lot of other employment.

However this is an opinion I wouldn't say too loud in the staff canteen. There is a small minority of NHS staff who believe the world owes them something.

DustyBin

Established Member
That never sat well with me (I'm front line clinical NHS). We pay taxes to fund it, the staff are not press ganged in to working for it. There is job security. Pay is actually OK compared to a lot of other employment.

However this is an opinion I wouldn't say too loud in the staff canteen. There is a small minority of NHS staff who believe the world owes them something.

I never did it. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the NHS but it seemed a little odd to me, I mean, what difference did it make? I actually joked at the time that it was the government’s way of testing how compliant we were and that they were sat watching via satellite wetting themselves laughing! With hindsight I may have been onto something, in terms of the former at least!

DB

Tesco.

I didn't have a very high opinion of them before this year, but they've really gone up in my estimation - the first to get rid of queueing and one-way systems, and since then have stuck with just screens at the tills. No hassle about masks, and I've never been challenged about not having one even when I wasn't wearing a lanyard.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I never did it. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the NHS but it seemed a little odd to me, I mean, what difference did it make? I actually joked at the time that it was the government’s way of testing how compliant we were and that they were sat watching via satellite wetting themselves laughing! With hindsight I may have been onto something, in terms of the former at least!

I didn't participate in the happy clapping either. For me it was all one sided - yes the NHS staff are doing a great job - but what about the other forgotten heroes? Carers, police, fire, ambulance, delivery drivers, essential shop workers - to name but a few, are all just as important in my eyes.

CJ

Calum1

i work in morrisons and even now at xmas time no queues to get in the shop, people not hysterical about walking past each other. seems sense has started kicking in a bit. still waiting to see a conductor on my local line (North Clyde) haven't seen once since march haven't paid to go into the city centre by train once since then.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
'Zacly. And, relevant to this forum, transport workers. That said, I didn't mind not getting the clap! <ahem>

Absolutely mate - there are hundreds of professions outside the NHS doing their own little bit everyday with little or no recognition. Even my postal lady is one of those forgotten heroes!

CJ

trebor79

Established Member
I didn't participate in the happy clapping either. For me it was all one sided - yes the NHS staff are doing a great job - but what about the other forgotten heroes? Carers, police, fire, ambulance, delivery drivers, essential shop workers - to name but a few, are all just as important in my eyes.
I didn't clap either, despite my wife wanting me to. It just struck me as pointless, vacuous virtue signalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.