• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Compensation on journey involving multiple TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

Just a hypothetical question really.

If I were to buy a ticket from Redland to Cosham and use it as follows:
Redland to Bristol Temple Meads, FGW
Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury, SWT
Salisbury to Southampton Central, FGW
Southampton Central to Cosham, Southern

This involves three TOCs so I was wondering who is liable if there is a delay/cancellation.

I would assume that the TOC whose train is delayed pays compensation at their rate?

Also, how is the delay period calculated? Say the SWT train was 15 mins late but I arrived at Cosham 1 hour late as I missed my connection at Salisbury and then at Southampton, would I be claiming for 1hr off FGW or would I only be entitled to 15 mins?

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe it is indeed the TOC who causes the delay, and the delay caused to you is the difference between the time you arrived at your destination and the time you were scheduled to arrive at your destination.

pemma

Veteran Member
Also, how is the delay period calculated? Say the SWT train was 15 mins late but I arrived at Cosham 1 hour late as I missed my connection at Salisbury and then at Southampton, would I be claiming for 1hr off FGW or would I only be entitled to 15 mins?

You need to check the relevant TOCs passengers charter. Some TOCs say if a delay to their journey adds 30/60 minutes to your journey then you are entitled to compensation. Others say if the delay to their service is over 30 or 60 minutes then you'll get compensation.

The question is what happens if you become entitled compensation of 50% of a single or 25% of the cost of a return compensation off two different TOCs e.g. in your case if your delayed for 60 minutes by FGW and 60 minutes by SWT? The problem will be you'll need to make two different claims but only have one ticket as evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.