• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conon bridge contruction & use

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

What will this new station be made of?
Reading about the re-opening of this station I have looked on the web but cannot answer my question which is will they use timber to built it (a local material) or will it be a real station with lots of concrete, no ticket office and a "bus shelter".

It is was interesting to read that they predict an initial passenger usage of 20,000pa from this station which will be capable of use by 4 coach trains with number rising to 35,000pa over ten years.
http://hitrans.org.uk/Documents/Item_12_-_Conon_Bridge_Station.pdf

They might be wrong in their prediction since for Beauly in 2002 they predicted 7,500 passengers but as at 2008 the number was 52,000 thanks to the more regular train service.

Conon Bridge Station is due to re-open early in 2013 to be part of commuter service into Inverness but given the timescale I expect something might be being built even now??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Marston

Established Member
What will this new station be made of?
Reading about the re-opening of this station I have looked on the web but cannot answer my question which is will they use timber to built it (a local material) or will it be a real station with lots of concrete, no ticket office and a "bus shelter".

It is was interesting to read that they predict an initial passenger usage of 20,000pa from this station which will be capable of use by 4 coach trains with number rising to 35,000pa over ten years.
http://hitrans.org.uk/Documents/Item_12_-_Conon_Bridge_Station.pdf

They might be wrong in their prediction since for Beauly in 2002 they predicted 7,500 passengers but as at 2008 the number was 52,000 thanks to the more regular train service.

Conon Bridge Station is due to re-open early in 2013 to be part of commuter service into Inverness but given the timescale I expect something might be being built even now??

some local road bridge is due to be demolished and rebuilt entailing a long detour for motorists for some time - the station in part alleviates this by opening up the rail option as alternative. Funny how when the political will is there it happens compare and contrast with Carno on the Cambrian Mainline, similar spec station to Conon Bridge but the cost was put at £2.5 million rather than c£750K at Conon Bridge so BCR ratio was impossibly low.

Maxfly

some local road bridge is due to be demolished and rebuilt entailing a long detour for motorists for some time - the station in part alleviates this by opening up the rail option as alternative. Funny how when the political will is there it happens compare and contrast with Carno on the Cambrian Mainline, similar spec station to Conon Bridge but the cost was put at £2.5 million rather than c£750K at Conon Bridge so BCR ratio was impossibly low.

Not quite, the Kessock Bridge is being part closed for resurfacing works, this is the main route in and out of Inverness for the north on the A9. So no detour but expect a whore of a delays tbh as it is a busy road. :)
The morning and evening peaks are already pretty busy but I think there is to be a strengthening of sets and iirc there is a path to enable and extra morning service at least.
The ran extra sets the last time there was works on the bridge last year but there will be more disruption this time so they seem to be pulling out more stops at least this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.