• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cover as much line as possible in one week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

37078xotTE

Established Member
Gents'

After many years of ignoring the underground and only using it as a means to get from one mainline station to another I have finally decided to give it it's true recognition and spend a whole week travelling it, trying of course to do as much of the line as possible and getting as much stock for "haulage" as possible and am looking for help from the experts into the best way to do this.

I was thinking of picking a line and starting at one end and just travelling to the other terminus and back again getting off every other stop or so to catch the train following, (Until I start to get repeat units?) that way I would travel the whole line and get as much stock as possible.
Doing all 11 lines (and DLR) I thought would be easilly possible in a week?

I'm sure it cannot be as simple as that and would be grateful for any advice that would help maximise the use of the week (Mon-Fri) I have put aside fro this.
Also any help on tickets and rules about travel would be much appreciated, I usually use an Oyster pay as you go.

Thanks in advance 37078xotTE

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also any help on tickets and rules about travel would be much appreciated, I usually use an Oyster pay as you go.
That is not recommended as you may exceed maximum journey times. I advise a Zones 1-9 Travelcard instead.

You can get such a Travelcard online by specifying the origin as Bushey. It will be issued to Zones 1-6 AAA Zones 7-9. (AAA stands for also available at).

37078xotTE

Established Member
Thanks for that Yorkie, I didn't even realise there was a maximum journey time?
Is that ticket valid for a week or do I just specifey it for that?

PR1Berske

Established Member
From their website

j6ttscm.png

causton

Established Member
If you use Oyster and are spending a whole week you can buy a Zones 1-9 travelcard for a week loaded onto your Oyster. Then you will not need to worry about exceeding the time limits :)

greatkingrat

Established Member
It would be cheaper to buy a weekly 1-6 season and a daily 1-9 on the day you visit Amersham/Chesham/Watford unless you think you are likely to go into zone 9 on more than one day.

If you don't intend to start travelling before 0930 you could also just buy daily off-peak travelcards.

Clip

Established Member
A little tip for doing the DLR without wasting time doubling back too much.

On the canning town to beckton eastern line when you come back from beckton get off at balloons reach and either walk or take 474 to king George v station, its not far and cuts down time for hitting Woolwich arsenal line with no doubling back to much

Status
Not open for further replies.