• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country split ticket delay repay advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeJuice

Hi all,
This evening I travelled from Southampton Central on the 17:17 to Kidsgrove with 5 XC advances and a further Northern only advance from Stoke-on-Trent to Kidsgrove on the 20:58 (I had left 15mins to make the connection which has been fine the previous occasions I've done this).

Anyway tonight the Cross country train was 31 minutes late into Stoke and I caught the West Mids/LNWR train to Kidsgrove arriving 39 minutes late.

Please could you advise whether I should just email Cross Country or attempt to fill in the online delay repay form with multiple pdfs.

As an aside the guard on XC said the ticket would probably be fine on the West Mids given the delays, but the Avanti despatcher at Stoke said it wouldn't be as the tickets were split at Stoke. As it happens the guard didn't come to check, but I wanted to know where I would have stood on ticket validity given the delays and whether I should have waited for the following Northern service a further 40 minutes later?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi all,
This evening I travelled from Southampton Central on the 17:17 to Kidsgrove with 5 XC advances and a further Northern only advance from Stoke-on-Trent to Kidsgrove on the 20:58 (I had left 15mins to make the connection which has been fine the previous occasions I've done this).

Anyway tonight the Cross country train was 31 minutes late into Stoke and I caught the West Mids/LNWR train to Kidsgrove arriving 39 minutes late.

Please could you advise whether I should just email Cross Country or attempt to fill in the online delay repay form with multiple pdfs.

As an aside the guard on XC said the ticket would probably be fine on the West Mids given the delays, but the Avanti despatcher at Stoke said it wouldn't be as the tickets were split at Stoke. As it happens the guard didn't come to check, but I wanted to know where I would have stood on ticket validity given the delays and whether I should have waited for the following Northern service a further 40 minutes later?
I would email customer services as this is much more likely to result in the claim being paid correctly.

Your Northern only Advance from Stoke to Kidsgrove would only have been valid on WMT if you had missed the last Northern train of the day. You should have asked the guard of the WMT train before boarding.

OrangeJuice

I would email customer services as this is much more likely to result in the claim being paid correctly.

Your Northern only Advance from Stoke to Kidsgrove would only have been valid on WMT if you had missed the last Northern train of the day. You should have asked the guard of the WMT train before boarding.

Thanks for your advice. The guard of the WMT was at the back and I was towards the front given where it stopped in Stoke. Had he been nearer I'd have asked him and given it was 20 mins late I didn't feel like walking back and delaying it further, but I appreciate your comment and shall ask first in future for definite, knowing where I stand.

Hypothetically, if the WMT guard refused to accept my ticket and I waited for the following Northern train, would Cross Country have been required to provide 100% delay repay rather than 50%?

Alternatively, would they have suggested I buy a new any operator ticket to reduce my delay and then refunded me the new ticket and/or given me 50% of the new ticket (but I'd bought it post starting my 'journey')? - there are lots of rules that have been discussed before and I get confused over these ticketing matters between TOCs.

Or might Cross Country have just expected me to get the first available train like I did and not paid out extra if I waited longer. I'm interested in what the 'railways' rules re ticket acceptance, delay repay and split ticket train operator acceptance which I may need to rename the thread/start a new thread for!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for your advice. The guard of the WMT was at the back and I was towards the front given where it stopped in Stoke. Had he been nearer I'd have asked him and given it was 20 mins late I didn't feel like walking back and delaying it further, but I appreciate your comment and shall ask first in future for definite, knowing where I stand.

Hypothetically, if the WMT guard refused to accept my ticket and I waited for the following Northern train, would Cross Country have been required to provide 100% delay repay rather than 50%?

Alternatively, would they have suggested I buy a new any operator ticket to reduce my delay and then refunded me the new ticket and/or given me 50% of the new ticket (but I'd bought it post starting my 'journey')? - there are lots of rules that have been discussed before and I get confused over these ticketing matters between TOCs.

Or might Cross Country have just expected me to get the first available train like I did and not paid out extra if I waited longer. I'm interested in what the 'railways' rules re ticket acceptance, delay repay and split ticket train operator acceptance which I may need to rename the thread/start a new thread for!
You can only be expected to take the first train your ticket is valid for.

If ticket acceptance had been in place I imagine they would expect you'd take the next train regardless of operator. But absent such acceptance they could hardly complain if you waited for the next Northern train on a Northern only Advance.

fairlie

I've had Cross Country refund a split ticket combination previously. I have a claim in at the moment too which I'm waiting on hearing back on. Emailing it is definitely the way to go but make sure to include all the information that the webform asks.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all,

If it was bought from Trainsplit you'd get one PDF; if yoi have two PDFs then you have various options
1) Use PDF editing software to amalgamate two PDFs into one
2) Use image editing software to amalgamate screenshots of the two PDFs into one image
3) Take a photograph showing two PDFs
4) Email or write to the company instead of using their form
I would have asked the WMT Guard if they were prepared to accept your Northern Only ticket in the circumstances of the delay to your journey. Another option would be to tweet one of the accounts used by WMT (they have twitter accounts branded LNR and WMR)

If the ticket was not accepted then this does increase the Delay Repay liability of XC.

I believe ticket checks on this route are not particularly common though.

I've had Cross Country refund a split ticket combination previously. I have a claim in at the moment too which I'm waiting on hearing back on. Emailing it is definitely the way to go but make sure to include all the information that the webform asks.
In my most recent delays with XC (not very recent I will add) I simply uploaded the PDF I had from Trainsplit which contained all the tickets in one PDF and put the value as the sum of all tickets (as written on my booking confirmation email) and it was paid promptly and correctly.

(WMT were a nightmare to get Delay Repay from for a journey where XC were on time and WMT were delayed, but I got there in the end)

MotCO

Established Member
What would have happened had the OP been challenged by the guard on the final train for not having a correct ticket for that TOC. Would the OP have to get off at the next stop and wait for the correct train, or would s/he be penalised? Could the OP claim for the delay as if travelling on the correct TOC train which would help offset the cost of any penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.