Crossrail opening delayed until sometime between October 2020 and March 2021

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by gavin, 31 Aug 2018.

1. ijmad

ijmad Established Member

I recall reading this was examined as a potential option during the lead up to the original opening date when it became clear the core wasn't ready, and was dismissed for a bunch of reasons, including where the CBTC boundaries are, issues with passenger flow and volumes (it's not expected everyone will continue to get off Shenfield trains at Liverpool Street), location and capacity of crossovers that could be used to reverse the trains, interference with completing work at Whitechapel and testing other services and the Abbey Wood branch, emergency evacuation problems, etc. etc.

Basically a nice idea on the surface but impractical once you scratch it.

2. hwl

hwl Established Member

They will want the HEx 387 on the Heathrow branch before Easter too and before ETCS is probably working on the 387s.

3. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

That would make sense as they could run them to T5 (in addition to T4) and get more income. The recent test ran a 345 test train to T5.

4. matt_world2004

matt_world2004 Established Member

I dont think there are going to be any t5 runs until the core is open due to the lack of capacity at paddington.

5. hwl

hwl Established Member

Agreed. No space at Paddington for anything above the current services in some form till the core opens

6. hwl

hwl Established Member

The Heathrow stock depot at OOC is due to close in December for HS2 demolition hence a bit of deadline to meet if possible, it can be mitigated with a lot of effort but far easier to replace both 360s and 332s (or as much as possible if not in total) with 345/ 387 before the end of the year.
    WIth TPWS+ HEx 387s just need interiors stuff sorting (many have already been stripped of old seat cover /padding and had the seats moved etc. ETCS on the387s will take longer, but TPWS+ in the Heatrow tunnels is key to getting 345s and 387s working in there sooner rather than later.

7. matt_world2004

The december timetable change still shows 2tph terminating at Hayes. If they are planning 345s to Heathrow I would have thought they would have been extended to terminal 4 in the december timetable change. Especially as TfL are making no direct revenue from the T4 shuttle.

8. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

As I understand it the running of 345s to Heathrow will not take place in December. The current plan is to make the change around March to Jun 2020, 3 to 6 months after phase 5a is running. At least this is what I saw in the unredacted parts of the plan that was published.

9. reddragon

reddragon Member

10. matt_world2004

This article is not saying anything new it is just making a quote fron mark wild larger than it is. There was never 100% chance of it opening by March 2021 and this revised opening date depended on the signal testing.

11. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

Agreed, a non-story just reminding people of the delay. I'm not optimistic it'll be open in March 2021, but I think 2021 for the core section will likely happen.

12. 4-SUB 4732

4-SUB 4732 Member

One thing that is obviously intensely frustrating is the fact that this doesn't appear to have an end in sight. Yes, don't promise (again) and then not deliver, but goodness me. What a debacle.

13. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

14. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

There wasn't really anything new. A bit of video showing almost complete Tottenham Court Road Station and a far from complete Bond Street Station.

15. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

I saw this interesting article called "Take a look at the Crossrail station under Bond Street" on the Ian Visits Blog.

16. Terry Tait

Terry Tait Member

December 2018 to open, delayed until March 2021, possibly delayed beyond that, ye gods what a complete cok up.

17. Mark J

Mark J Member

Crossrail will now be opening in 2030. :D:D

18. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Established Member

I thought we had a 6-month expected opening window of sometime between Oct 2020 and Mar 2021. Has that recently changed?

19. gc1982

gc1982 Member

Just noticed an Elizabeth line roundel has been installed on the platforms at Chadwell Heath. Just a one off or are they likely to be installed everywhere in the next few months? With opening not until 2021 in the east , seems a bit premature....

20. samuelmorris

Yeah as per my post last week, they're at several of the eastern stations, along with large 'A' markers at a few locations on each platform. Anyone know what these are for?

21. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Established Member

TfL Board was today, the papers are available on the TfL website. Theres an update on Crossrail from Mark Wild. I believe that was the source of the BBC story.

22. samuelmorris

As far as I know though, the only change is just a reminder telling people that it is entirely possible they will miss the deadline. Not that they're expecting to, but that, as you might expect, it isn't an absolute guarantee, which I think is fair enough. That then turns into press sensationalism about it being delayed 'even further' because of the possibility it could be delayed. I suspect in practice it probably will be, but don't the press make a big song and dance about it (I know, it's their job).

23. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Established Member

Agreed.

24. 700007

700007 Established Member

These were installed last week including a purple roundel outside the station with a TfL Rail sticker over it, and purple backed signage in the ticket hall. These indeed will be rolling out over the next several months - I would look at Gidea Park next for this treatment...

Attached Files:

25. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Well at least the roundels will be delivered to the new agreed timetable, so I suppose we should be grateful for something... :s

26. 357

357 Member

These are markers used in the event of a person being hit by a train. They expect staff to establish where the main body parts are, and if it's mainly between the two A's then they will continue running trains on the other two lines.

This plan was met with concern from BTP, staff, and unions. I don't know if it's gone ahead formally or not but they have been trying to implement it for at least 3 or 4 years.

27. samuelmorris

Well, that's certainly not the reply I expected... Not saying I don't believe it, but I'm curious to know more, are there any articles about this plan?

28. Twotwo

Twotwo Member

This is true. It was called a fatality designated point or FDP. I believe it was put on hold....

29. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member

At yesterday's TfL Board Meeting there was an update on Crossrail Costs you can read about it on IanVisits, but the important bits are below.

30. kevin_roche

kevin_roche Member