• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Ranger / Rover of West & South Yorkshire + Greater Manchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkstudent

Established Member
I was trying to plan a trip for the coming weekend (4 days), for travelling to Leeds, Sheffield, and Greater Manchester (up to Horwich and Altrincham).
However, I am a bit puzzle to find a ranger/rover that can cover all of them.

We got South Pennies, but that not covering west of Manchester Terminals
We got North Country Rover, but not covering South Yorkshire nor Manchester
We got North West Rover, but not covering Sheffield nor Peak District.
We got Coast and Peaks, but not covering West Yorkshire.

Any good suggestions?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was trying to plan a trip for the coming weekend (4 days), for travelling to Leeds, Sheffield, and Greater Manchester (up to Horwich and Altrincham).
However, I am a bit puzzle to find a ranger/rover that can cover all of them.

We got South Pennies, but that not covering west of Manchester Terminals
We got North Country Rover, but not covering South Yorkshire nor Manchester
We got North West Rover, but not covering Sheffield nor Peak District.
We got Coast and Peaks, but not covering West Yorkshire.

Any good suggestions?
There isn't one rover that will cover everything you want. It might be cheaper to focus your travel by area on each day (one day in Greater Manchester, one in West Yorkshire, one in South Yorkshire) so that you can use the cheap day rangers available for each of these areas, and then Advances to travel from one area to the next.

The Rail Rover site is very useful as you can search by station to see what rangers and rovers are valid at that location.

hkstudent

Established Member
There isn't one rover that will cover everything you want. It might be cheaper to focus your travel by area on each day (one day in Greater Manchester, one in West Yorkshire, one in South Yorkshire) so that you can use the cheap day rangers available for each of these areas, and then Advances to travel from one area to the next.

The Rail Rover site is very useful as you can search by station to see what rangers and rovers are valid at that location.
Thanks. I have used that site and thus have the headache.
The tricky bit is, that I am planning to base in Bradford, but to go around everywhere.

What's the deadline for Northern's / TPE's / EMR's Advance fare booking?

What's your planned daily itinerary over the four days?
Likely:

12th Bradford - Stockport - Biking - Edale - Bradford
13th Within West Yorks & South Yorks (till Sheffield / Hope)
15th Bradford - Burnley - Hellifield (Dales Rail) - Bradford + Bradford - Horwich - Biking - Sale / Altrincham - Bradford
16th Within West Yorks

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks. I have used that site and thus have the headache.
The tricky bit is, that I am planning to base in Bradford, but to go around everywhere.

What's the deadline for Northern's / TPE's / EMR's Advance fare booking?

Likely:

12th Bradford - Stockport - Biking - Edale - Bradford
13th Within West Yorks & South Yorks (till Sheffield / Hope)
15th Bradford - Burnley - Hellifield (Dales Rail) - Bradford + Bradford - Horwich - Biking - Sale / Altrincham - Bradford
16th Within West Yorks
In that case I think you're best off buying individual tickets for the 12th and 15th, and a day ranger for the relevant areas on the 13th and 15th.

You'd be surprised at the number of flows where Advances are now available, and even if they're not available for the exact journey you're making, TrainSplit and other sites will usually find them for any intermediate portion where they're available.

Where Advances are available, then (subject to selling out) they can be bought up to 5-15 minutes before departure.

Jason12

I would echo the advice of @Watershed, but also mention that in addition to the National Rail Rovers you've listed, and the Day Rangers mentioned, there are also the the West Yorkshire Day Saver Train and South Yorkshire Connect+ (1 day) tickets. They are zonal rail day tickets for the respective metropolitan counties. The W Yorks one covers off-peak travel and is rail only, but the S Yorks version is valid all day and covers the Sheffield trams and tram-train (and buses) as well. You can find details on the Rail Rover site which @Watershed has linked to.

They may be useful pieces for your ticket jigsaw.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A one day (Greater Manchester) Wayfarer may be of use. Covers rail travel between Warrington Stns, Wigan Stns, Parbold, Chorley, Darwen, Littleborough, Glossop, Grindleford, Buxton, Macclesfield, Holmes Chapel and Northwich. Also buses within a wide area and all Metrolink trams. Price is £15.20.

robbeech

Established Member
Do you have any Northern delay repay vouchers kicking around? Sounds like most things could be done on their services so a creative return could sort you out for one of the days.

hkstudent

Established Member
Do you have any Northern delay repay vouchers kicking around? Sounds like most things could be done on their services so a creative return could sort you out for one of the days.
The voucher may work a bit. Sad to see that the NORTHERN only rover is no longer on sale
But yeah, GM and WY both have extensive rail network which point to point ticket can play around a lot.

Some question: is Skipton - Chinley / New Mills / Edale valid both Manchester and Sheffield?

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The voucher may work a bit. Sad to see that the NORTHERN only rover is no longer on sale
But yeah, GM and WY both have extensive rail network which point to point ticket can play around a lot.

Some question: is Skipton - Chinley / New Mills / Edale valid both Manchester and Sheffield?
A ticket from Bradford to Chinley would be valid both ways. There are some complexities behind it - technically Bradford to Chinley is only mapped via Sheffield, so you are reliant on shortest routes + within 3 miles to go via Manchester - but journey planners are happy to offer it via Manchester and both routes are reasonable.

Bradford to Chinley also has the advantage of having a cheaper SDR and CDR if you want to use the ticket for one of your day trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.