• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay - connecting trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCP1

I am looking for regulation saying train company which caused initial delay is responsible for delay repay for the whole journey.

My son and girlfriend travelled from Worcester Foregate Street to Durham.

The West Midlands Railways train to Birmingham train was severely delayed so they miss their connection for the only direct train to Durham. They had to change at Leeds and York and there were numerous cancellations and other delays on these subsequent trains - one was with TransPenine Express and, I think, the final train was with a third operator. They arrived nearly 2 hours late.

They have claimed delay repay from West Midlands Railways and one was refunded but the other was told to apply to the other train companies. This second claim was rejected saying apply to WMR. They think they have to accept this (18 year olds not used to fighting the system).

I am aware that it is the first operator who is liable but I cannot find where this is set down. Can anyone help so we can send this to the company.7

Also, WMT says you can only appeal within a month - sounds outrageous when it is their error. Not clear if it's within a month of the journey or of the rejected claim - and rejected by them or the second train operator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
West Midlands Trains (WMT) need to pay up; they are deemed liable for the delay in the event that a delay to their train resulted in the connection was missed; their charter says:

If part of your journey was with another train company, we will compensate you if we caused the delay

If you can provide the date of travel, along with the originally booked itinerary and the actual times, this can help us to assist, but it may be difficult if the journey was a long time ago.

What date was the journey made, what date was the DR claim put in, and what date was the claim rejected?

If one claim was accepted and the other rejected, I would mention that in my appeal.

It may be worth emailing or calling them; ensure you have a copy of your reference number to hand. Email: [email protected] Tel: 0333 311 0039

If the appeal is rejected, you can refer the matter to the Rail Ombudsman.

Sadly, the rejection of valid claims is rife in the rail industry, with many train companies being 'at it'; there are various threads complaining about the poor service but I suggest we keep this particular thread specific to your case.

Note, for the avoidance of doubt, the train operating company (TOC) you are in dispute with is West Midlands Trains (WMT), who trade under the brand names West Midlands Railway (WMR) and London Northwestern Railway (LNR).

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It isn’t written down explicitly anywhere but it is absolutely part of the delay repay scheme. Sounds like a total cock up. @yorkie gives good advice here.

PCP1

Thank you. I will try to persuade the youngsters that they should try again and suggest what to say. Useful for them to learn that they need to keep going to stand up for their rights.

gray1404

Established Member
The appeal deadline is a month from the date the first decision came through, not the date of journey.

PCP1

The appeal deadline is a month from the date the first decision came through, not the date of journey.
West Midlands Trains (WMT) need to pay up; they are deemed liable for the delay in the event that a delay to their train resulted in the connection was missed; their charter says:

If you can provide the date of travel, along with the originally booked itinerary and the actual times, this can help us to assist, but it may be difficult if the journey was a long time ago.

What date was the journey made, what date was the DR claim put in, and what date was the claim rejected?

If one claim was accepted and the other rejected, I would mention that in my appeal.

It may be worth emailing or calling them; ensure you have a copy of your reference number to hand. Email: [email protected] Tel: 0333 311 0039

If the appeal is rejected, you can refer the matter to the Rail Ombudsman.

Sadly, the rejection of valid claims is rife in the rail industry, with many train companies being 'at it'; there are various threads complaining about the poor service but I suggest we keep this particular thread specific to your case.

Note, for the avoidance of doubt, the train operating company (TOC) you are in dispute with is West Midlands Trains (WMT), who trade under the brand names West Midlands Railway (WMR) and London Northwestern Railway (LNR).
WMT is also claiming they haven't received a clear copy of the ticket - but they are e tickets so surely the reference number is all they need?

gray1404

Established Member
If they are claiming they have not received a copy of the tickets clearly then they won't have made a decision on the claim yet surely? It is worth responding giving them what they want which is a copy of the tickets even if you're sending it for a second time and hopefully they make the correct decision

PCP1

If they are claiming they have not received a copy of the tickets clearly then they won't have made a decision on the claim yet surely? It is worth responding giving them what they want which is a copy of the tickets even if you're sending it for a second time and hopefully they make the correct decision
They are getting repeat copies but it seems very odd that they are saying a screenshot of an e-ticket ( which has been sent) is not clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.