• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay entitlement when ticket paid for using service-recovery vouchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

In my posting https://railforums.co.uk/threads/avanti-west-coast-cancellations.233844/post-5758754 I rued the fact that, following an extensive delay, I was not entitled to Delay Repay because the tickets had been paid for using vouchers. These vouchers were not for a monetary amount; they were each for a first-class return anywhere on the Avanti network where they had Advance tickets available. (They were issued by Avanti Customer Relations when a previous journey was cancelled, as they said they had a huge backlog of emails and asked me to accept the vouchers in lieu of an actual refund.)

A few people commented in that thread that I was in fact still entitled to Delay Repay, which presumably would be based on the ticket price before applying the voucher.

Avanti, after one appeal, disagree saying they can only see a ticket price of £0.00.

Do I in fact have any grounds for Delay Repay? If so, are there any internal guidance/rules that I can use to support my next appeal?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miklcct

On Moderation
The Delay Repay is 100% of the ticket price.

Can it be interpreted as getting another service voucher with the same validity as compensation?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Do I in fact have any grounds for Delay Repay?
No, delay repay is calculated against the price paid for the ticket. In your case this was nothing, which is what you get as compensation. The only avenue open to you is to complain to Avanti and hope they take pity and offer you something as a goodwill gesture.

MKB

..which is what I originally thought. Odd that a few people in the other thread said that was not the case, and one person said they had successfully claimed.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
..which is what I originally thought. Odd that a few people in the other thread said that was not the case, and one person said they had successfully claimed.
I think that example was from Northern. There it's a little bit different as their Passenger's Charter explicitly says you can claim for a free single/return/day ticket (depending on the delay and ticket held). It doesn't require that the original ticket holds any monetary value so it's perfectly plausible to claim for a new free ticket, if you were delayed whilst travelling on a previous free ticket.

Avanti offer no such scheme in their Charter and therefore you are reliant on their goodwill to offer you anything more.

Status
Not open for further replies.