• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

delay repay for zero fares on oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

hi2u_uk

I paid for a journey from London bridge to Grove park earlier this week using my oyster card however there were severe delays and eventually i ended up going to lewisham by dlr and then getting the bus as there seemed to be no southeastern trains running. I would like to claim delay repay however when i look at my oyster card statement it says that my fare for this journey is zero as i had reached the daily limit. In addition the statement doesn't show that i went to grove park because i ended up getting the tube , dlr train and bus.

If i attach this statement to my claim would i get compensation ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
DelayRepay is based on the fare you paid for the delayed journey. If you paid £0 you will get 25/50/100% of £0, which is £0.

moleman212

DelayRepay is based on the fare you paid for the delayed journey. If you paid £0 you will get 25/50/100% of £0, which is £0.

In the past TFL have based compensation in these cases as if the traveller had a day travelcard, which is essentially what the daily cap provides anyway.

hi2u_uk

does anyone know the correct answer ?
is it zero or based on the cap or based on the fare
Also note that its national rail i'd be claiming from not tfl

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
National Rail is merely a brand/description which encompasses a variety of different companies. There is no 'correct' answer because it depends on the policy of the operator and the interpretation of the rules: whether it is taken that what you have paid for is a Travelcard, or whether it is merely taken (as I would imagine some TOCs would) that the amount you pay is capped at the price of a Travelcard.

gray1404

Established Member
I would imagine in this case they would base it on the cost of the travel card as that it, in effect, what you have paid for.

Belperpete

Established Member
To be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath about getting any delay repay compensation. You would need to claim from South Eastern Trains as they were the TOC that you were disrupted by. In addition to the zero fare issue, I think they could also refuse under the rule that you must not have been aware of the delay when you obtained your ticket. You effectively never bought a ticket for the South Eastern service, and you were aware of the delays when you entered DLR (which is when you effectively bought your ticket).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you attach the whole statement showing that you'd capped and explain what happened you might get some compensation. If you can estimate when the bus would have got you to near to Grove Park and compare that with when the train should have got there it might help.

If the disruption was Thursday evening when there was a fire that caused Ashford signal box to be evacuated then they might be more sympathetic.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think they could also refuse under the rule that you must not have been aware of the delay when you obtained your ticket.
The pertinent question here is if delays were already being advertised or not at the time that the OP touched in. If the scale of delay that was experienced was being adequately warned of at that point, then there may be no case to argue for compensation.

John Bray

Southeastern's delay repay system doesn't handle Oyster or contactless well. You are asked to attach a photo of your paper ticket, its not at all clear what information from the Oyster website is needed. I cobbled together a page from screenshots, and complained.

island

Veteran Member
There is a prescribed compensation rate for season tickets and the like based on a fraction of the cost when a passenger prepays for all their journeys. This is not controversial and those journeys are not free.

As for the OP’s case, take the counterpoint. Had one of the first (full price) journeys been delayed, I have no doubt that any suggestion that the fare for that journey was part payment for the later journeys after capping and that therefore the compensation for that journey might be based on anything less than the full amount paid would be ridiculed here, and accusations of being anti-passenger wheeled out.

You cannot have it both ways.

moleman212

There is a prescribed compensation rate for season tickets and the like based on a fraction of the cost when a passenger prepays for all their journeys. This is not controversial and those journeys are not free.

As for the OP’s case, take the counterpoint. Had one of the first (full price) journeys been delayed, I have no doubt that any suggestion that the fare for that journey was part payment for the later journeys after capping and that therefore the compensation for that journey might be based on anything less than the full amount paid would be ridiculed here, and accusations of being anti-passenger wheeled out.

You cannot have it both ways.

He didn't have any "free" journeys. He paid for an unlimited day of travel in the zones for which the cap applies. Nothing was "free". Who is having anything both ways?!

Last edited by a moderator:

paddington

In this situation GWR compensated me based on the entire daily cap. TfL refunded what a single would have been. GTR, or maybe it was FCC, also based it on the single fare

Status
Not open for further replies.