• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay Query - Split Ticket & Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
Whilst out and about in Anglia yesterday I found myself on 2 delayed services. The first one was for a journey from Ipswich to Norwich which was covered by my Anglia Plus Day Ranger. I was on the 1708 GA service from Ipswich which due to signalling issues at Shenfield arrived 37 late into Ipswich and then Norwich 44 late. Am I entitled to delay repay against GA for the Anglia Plus Ranger on this basis?

Also, as part of my journey into the ranger area I had split tickets between Stafford and Ely as below:

Stafford to Nuneaton (anytime day return)
Nuneaton to Melton Mowbray (anytime day return)
Melton Mowbray to Ely (advance single)
Ely to Melton Mowbray (advance single)

Upon return to Nuneaton it became apparent that there were delays due to trespassers (apparently someone had been seen train 'surfing' on a container train) and the 2200 didn't arrive until 2243 and, after going fast to Stafford, arrived 30 late. So am I entitled to a claim against the LNWR Stafford-Nuneaton portion of the split tickets because of this?

Not done delay repay before so a little unsure about how split tickets and rangers are viewed by TOCs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You are entitled to make one journey using two or more tickets. Delay Repay applies to the journey.

Calculating Delay Repay entitlement when using a Rover/Ranger is problematic; different TOCs apply different approaches. It can be subjective.

Working out the total value of this claim will be problematical as it combines Singles, Returns and a Day Ranger.

Silverdale

Working out the total value of this claim will be problematical as it combines Singles, Returns and a Day Ranger.

Simplest way would be to treat it as two separate claims. The most straight forward being for the delay in arrival at Stafford. Realtime Trains shows arrival at Stafford at 23:13, which is only a 29 min delay versus the public timetable, so just 12.5% of the cost of your combined return/single tickets from Stafford to Ely and back. (You could claim on the basis that your journey originated within the validity of the GA ranger, so part of that should be taken into consideration, but it would complicate things and for not much, if any, additional compensation.) You travelled from Ely to Stafford with more than one operator, but you should make your claim to LNW, as it was their service which delayed you at your destination.

One difficulty with a rover/ranger is determining what was the limit of your journey. Was Norwich your ultimate destination or were you travelling onward from there, and were you consequently delayed on your arrival at that place? Also, there is no set percentage of ticket price versus delay minutes which applies to a rover/ranger. Is it a kind of multi single or a kind of zig-zag return or something else? I would make a separate claim to GA for the delay you had arriving at Norwich, and just see how they assess it.

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. @Silverdale I've just seen that RTT has the final delay as 29 minutes whereas Charlwoodhouse has it at 30 minutes - http://www.charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/15848097/04/06/19

So who is right in this instance?

Regarding the ranger, I obviously had onward journeys one of which was Norwich-Ely again using the ranger. The delay caused by GA had no impact on my onward journey as I'd given myself enough time in my plans for this possibility and to ensure that I didn't miss the connections for the advance ticket from Ely to Melton Mowbray. The only thing the delay caused was me not having as much time in Norwich as I'd originally planned at the end of my trip - probably not really justification for any claim I guess.

Silverdale

Charlwoodhouse quotes the arrival as 23:13, same as RTT. The WTT booked arrival is 22:43½ and that gets rounded-up to 30 late. But the public timetable has arrival at 22:44, so only 29 late against that.

You could further argue that the clocked time is not necessarily the time the train actually arrived at the platform with the doors released, so you were actually delayed by more than 29 mins... Personally I claim on the basis of whatever is clocked versus the public timetable, so 29, in this case.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
The train operator won't be using either of those, so neither is 'right'. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong as they may agree with the data that the TOC will use, which is likely to be from Trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.