• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay Reading-London zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_commuter

Hi All,

I have a weekly season ticket from Reading to London zone 1-6. I am taking a GWR train to Paddington and then the tube to my zone 1 destination. I have two questions:

1) The GWR website says that if my journey were to be delayed by 15 minutes, I am entitled to 25% of the cost of a single journey. How is this "single journey" defined? According to NRE, the cost of a peak (anytime) single from Reading to my zone 1 destination is £28.10. Is this the price that is used?

2) Is my journey defined as from my starting station to my destination station? E.g. if I am delayed by GWR by 10 minutes, and a further 10 minutes by TfL on the tube, each train operator has not been delayed by at least 15 minutes, although the total delay to my journey is 20 minutes. Can I still claim in this case?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
1)
No, a single journey is understood as 1/10th of your season ticket price, ie, it is imagining you make 5 return journeys. So for a 15 minute delay you'd be due 25% of 10% of your ticket price.

2)
Yes, it's your full journey, so if you arrive 20 minutes late you can claim even if that delay was accrued over both operators. The key is to apply to the company who caused the consequential delay.

Supposing you arrive 5 minutes late on a GWR train, miss the tube service that you should have connected to, and then your tube train suffers a further 20 minute delay, it's GWR who are responsible for your overall delay. The logic here is that if their train had been on time, you wouldn't have been on the delayed train.

However, suppose you make a journey where services are less frequent: for example if you want to catch a District Line train to Wimbledon from Paddington. You arrive 5 minutes late on your GWR train, but you actually had a 10 minute wait to catch your train so still make it. That train is then delayed by 20 minutes. In this case, you should apply to TfL for the delay as the GWR one wasn't consequential - it didn't affect your overall journey.

You should be aware that there are fairly lengthy official connection times at London terminals. For example, at Paddington it is 15 minutes. I don't know if these connection times are applied for Delay Repay but they may well be, so you may find that for short delays you're not eligible as 'officially' your expected arrival time was 5 or 10 minutes later than you would have anticipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.