• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traintyke

I recently had a delay on a long service which incorporated 4 train companies. The 3rd of these was delayed. When I reached the departure point of the 4th and final leg an hour late I would have had to wait another 30 minutes so arranged alternative transport to take me to my final destination to reduce the lateness.
Am I still allowed to claim on the delay repay?
I was delayed significantly by the company I was considering claiming compensation against which lead me to make alternative arrangements towards the end but wasn't sure if I had to complete the entire journey via train to be compensated
Any thoughts please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Belperpete

Established Member
I recently had a delay on a long service which incorporated 4 train companies. The 3rd of these was delayed. When I reached the departure point of the 4th and final leg an hour late I would have had to wait another 30 minutes so arranged alternative transport to take me to my final destination to reduce the lateness.
Am I still allowed to claim on the delay repay?
I was delayed significantly by the company I was considering claiming compensation against which lead me to make alternative arrangements towards the end but wasn't sure if I had to complete the entire journey via train to be compensated
Any thoughts please?
No, you don't have to complete the entire journey. Unless you had an advance ticket, you are not required to travel on any particular train.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the third leg of your journey was delayed, such that you arrived at the end of that leg an hour (60+ minutes) late. In which case you are entitled to claim for an hour's delay from the company that delayed you.

If you had completed your journey, and had been over two hours late at your final destination (e.g. due to additional time lost waiting for the next connection), then you would have been entitled to claim two hours' worth of delay compensation from the company that caused the initial delay. As you say the next train on the fourth leg of your journey was only 30 minutes later, I take it that you would have been at worst 1 hour 30 minutes late in all if you had caught it. In which case you are therefore only entitled to one hours' worth of compensation. You could also try claiming for reimbursement of the bus or taxi fare if that is what you used instead (and kept the ticket/receipt as proof) - I wouldn't hold my breath, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

On a recent 4 leg journey, I was delayed by over an hour on the second leg. When I finally got to my last but-one station, the next available train for the final leg was running 40 minutes late. I therefore successfully claimed for an hour's delay from the second company, and half-an-hour's delay from the fourth company. The only mark on my ticket was a biro squiggle made by the guard on the second leg, so there was no proof that I had actually travelled on any of the trains that I was claiming for.

trebor79

Established Member
Thread drift but why do tickets not get clipped, stamped or embossed these days? Certainly in East Anglia it's just a biro or permanent marker squiggle.

robbeech

Established Member
On a recent 4 leg journey, I was delayed by over an hour on the second leg. When I finally got to my last but-one station, the next available train for the final leg was running 40 minutes late. I therefore successfully claimed for an hour's delay from the second company, and half-an-hour's delay from the fourth company. The only mark on my ticket was a biro squiggle made by the guard on the second leg, so there was no proof that I had actually travelled on any of the trains that I was claiming for.

*edit* this is like saying .....
I fraudulently claimed more delay repay than I was entitled to.

I reworded that for you to make it fit in a smaller area.

*edit notes*
For clarity I have made it even clearer that the non labelled quote box is an example of what the above quote could be seen to imply.

Last edited:

JB_B

Established Member

You might be correct but without more details on exactly what happened I'd be quite wary of using the f-word. It would also be helpful if your 'rewording' made it clearer that "I fraudulently claimed..." were not @Belperpete 's own words.

Esker-pades

Established Member
No, you don't have to complete the entire journey. Unless you had an advance ticket, you are not required to travel on any particular train.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the third leg of your journey was delayed, such that you arrived at the end of that leg an hour (60+ minutes) late. In which case you are entitled to claim for an hour's delay from the company that delayed you.

If you had completed your journey, and had been over two hours late at your final destination (e.g. due to additional time lost waiting for the next connection), then you would have been entitled to claim two hours' worth of delay compensation from the company that caused the initial delay. As you say the next train on the fourth leg of your journey was only 30 minutes later, I take it that you would have been at worst 1 hour 30 minutes late in all if you had caught it. In which case you are therefore only entitled to one hours' worth of compensation. You could also try claiming for reimbursement of the bus or taxi fare if that is what you used instead (and kept the ticket/receipt as proof) - I wouldn't hold my breath, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You might be correct but without more details on exactly what happened I'd be quite wary of using the f-word. It would also be helpful if your 'rewording' made it clearer that "I fraudulently claimed..." were not @Belperpete 's own words.

I have created another thread inspired by @Belperpete 's original comment.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ce-for-a-multi-leg-journey-fraudulent.173379/

robbeech

Established Member
It was made clear that they were making 1 journey and they claimed twice. They were not 2 hours late so we’re not entitled to more than 1 hours worth of compensation.

It is also clear who worded what bybthe fact they are both next to each other and one is a direct quote and the other just in a quote box.

This sort of activity could lead to prosecution for fraud if found out. It’s not something I would consider, let alone admit to on a forum that is frequented by people who work in departments dealing with delay repay.

If there are details which clearly confirm that this was not ‘the f word’ then it would have been wise to have worded it so. As it stands the post was worded in such a way that it appears to brag about the success of claiming compensation from 2 different TOCs where this falls foul of the rules. Of course the issue here is that any subsequent information posted now will appear suspicious.
It is not meant as a dig at the poster of this, more as a warning that whilst their actions are entirely up to them, this sort of behaviour is discouraged here and admitting and / or suggesting it is acceptable is equally discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.