• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment near Grange Over Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
I've always found the Barrow one a bit odd considering Kirkby In Furness 2 stops up the line is signed as is. However Dalton 2 stops down isn't called Dalton In Furness on signs or Announcements!!

It is announced as Dalton-in-Furness on the 195s although the station itself is just Dalton. Mind you the 195s refer to Cark & Cartmel station as Cark-in-Cartmel which is incorrect.

It is announced as Dalton-in-Furness on the 195s although the station itself is just Dalton. Mind you the 195s refer to Cark & Cartmel station as Cark-in-Cartmel which is incorrect.
Never noticed that, my connections rarely get me a 195 these days As for Cark In Cartmel the station boards just say Cark! Though the previous ones had the full name with & pre Serco northern.

Lucy1501

Very quiet at work at the moment with progress on the onward movements of the pair of 195s. I passed by yesterday, and security appears to be in the form of the local seagulls.
I passed earlier today and got some photos - can concur about the large amount of seagull droppings dried into the top of the trains!

Attachments

• IMG_8705.jpg
    IMG_8705.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8707.jpg
    IMG_8707.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8706.jpg
    IMG_8706.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 110

basfordlad

The village is known as Bootle Station. Its a fair way from Bootle on the A595. It was known as Bootle Station in the 1940s when my grandfather was there. Not heard anyone confuse it with any other
The station is closer to the village of Hycemoor.
It makes a great costal walk getting the train from silecroft and walking back. Very under rated coast.

PyrahnaRanger

I've always found the Barrow one a bit odd considering Kirkby In Furness 2 stops up the line is signed as is. However Dalton 2 stops down isn't called Dalton In Furness on signs or Announcements!!
To be fair, the naming down there is quite complex, but I think the town was Barrow, the parish is Barrow In Furness, the constituency is Barrow In Furness, and I’m told the town adopted “in Furness” after the Local Government Reforms, but that could be tittle tattle. (I’ve heard the same about Appleby-in-Westmorland)
The village is known as Bootle Station. It’s a fair way from Bootle on the A595. It was known as Bootle Station in the 1940s when my grandfather was there. Not heard anyone confuse it with any other places.
That’s one I’ve not heard before! Still, you live and learn.

randyrippley

Established Member
that's because you've got possible confusion with Kirkby (Liverpool), West Kirkby, and (closed) Kirkby Lonsdale.
There's nowhere close named Barrow to be confused

Geographically Cark-in-Cartmel is correct. The station is closest to Cark, and Cark is in the Cartmel peninsula. Cartmel village is a mile or two away.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we’re probably done with this thread. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.