• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Detailed Maps of the Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum :)

The carto.metro.free.fr website has been posted 65 times on this forum previously, but I guess it's possible some members may not have heard about it yet! It's a very good website.

joeykins82

Actually the Crossrail 1 route is on the carto metro maps now as dotted lines (they were quite pale previously but it looks like the map has been updated in the last couple of days).

Rogmi

Actually the Crossrail 1 route is on the carto metro maps now as dotted lines (they were quite pale previously but it looks like the map has been updated in the last couple of days).

I think Franklin uploaded the new map about six weeks ago (now version 3.1). There have been some updates / additions, so for anyone that's downloaded the previous PDF version, it's worth downloading 3.1

Some of the main changes I can think of are:

Crossrail 1 now shown in more detail (as mentioned)
Disused Edmonton branch added
Disused Central Croydon branch added
Battersea Park l(LO) layout change update
Disused Beckton NR branch added
Disused Royal Albert Dock Railway added
Some disused tracks added to the Norwood Junction triangle

Obviously, if anybody finds an error, which is quite possible in a work of this size, please e-mail Franklin with the details and he will make the changes for the next version. There are two rather glaring erros that slipped through the proof-reading and Franklin has made the changes for the next version. I shan't say what they are, other than that they are both platform layouts on NR stations :)

Kazington

I think Franklin uploaded the new map about six weeks ago (now version 3.1). There have been some updates / additions, so for anyone that's downloaded the previous PDF version, it's worth downloading 3.1

Some of the main changes I can think of are:

Crossrail 1 now shown in more detail (as mentioned)
Disused Edmonton branch added
Disused Central Croydon branch added
Battersea Park l(LO) layout change update
Disused Beckton NR branch added
Disused Royal Albert Dock Railway added
Some disused tracks added to the Norwood Junction triangle

Obviously, if anybody finds an error, which is quite possible in a work of this size, please e-mail Franklin with the details and he will make the changes for the next version. There are two rather glaring erros that slipped through the proof-reading and Franklin has made the changes for the next version. I shan't say what they are, other than that they are both platform layouts on NR stations :)

You seem to be in the know, where does he get all the data to build these impressive maps from? My curiosity is burning.

Rogmi

Franklin does all the hard work, I just do the proof reading and occasional site visit :)

Believe it or not, a lot of information gathering it is hard slog viewing Google Earth and following every bit of track and pointwork. That does have its problems as many of the recent GE views are rubbish (unkess you like dark clouds!) and so an earlier, clearer, historical view often has to be used as the layout basis to start with and then checked for current layout later.

Network Rail publish various sources online such as:
Rules of the plan (Timetable planning rules) for each area
Sectional Appendices for each area
which give detailed track layouts, junction names etc.

The layouts are not to scale and there is a lot of hopping from one part of a line to another if following a certain route etc. and, unless the pages printed off, can be hard to follow sometimes.
The problem with these is that they are not error free and layouts are not always shown correctly or some parts may be omitted. Likewise junction names can vary between publication, even though they are for the same location!

Large scale Ordnance Survey maps are another useful source of layout and naming information. Alan Godfrey Maps have been reprinting 1:2500 scale OS maps. They started with London first and gradually extended to other main areas (see their site). Their maps cover from the first series (1860s) to the fourth series (1930s) and it depends on the area as to what series are available. These are the maps that many libraries have for sale in the local history section. They can also be bought at other places, such as Foyles etc., but they are usually more expensive than if bought direct from Alan Godfrey, especially if you want several as a reasonable P&p charge covers whatever amount is ordered.

I have all of the maps that he has printed for the GLC area and many beyond that. There may be a map of each series (4 in all) for many of the central area. I find them very useful, and it is also fascinating to see how things have changed over the years, especially if there maps for each series to compare the area with.

Maps at this scale show a wealth of information as far as the railways are concerned, often including every signal post. The track layouts are very detailed and, depending on the map series, junctions may be named and the position of underground tunnels shown.

Obviously track layout changes over the years, although most of the changes involve the track being lifted and built over and there is sometimes very little change to the main running line layout.

Then, of course, there's always Google if searching for anything specific like a signal diagram / track layout or junction name (although many junction names have changed several times over the past 150 years).

Getting information is usually a mixture of the things mentioned and, where necessary, a site or line visit to check the layout. This happened with the LO NLL as the latest GE available at the time showed the original NL track or sections of lifted track where the new layout was being installed. E.g. the 2010 GE view of Canonbury was the nearest clear view of the area at the time and that just shows lots of bare track bed, ballast wagons and cranes!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Spotted the crossrail after I flushed my browser cache. Anyone viewing the map who sees something missing needs to try hitting Ctrl+F5 to flush their browser cache if they've viewed the map in the past as they've probably got an older version cached

Status
Not open for further replies.