• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did my company buy me an invalid ticket for my intended travel time? (Super Off-peak restrictions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaldman

I'm setting off on a business trip, and looking at the tickets I've been given to get back in a few days.... well, either I'm missing something or the corporate travel people have bought me a Super Off-Peak together with a reservation for a time when that ticket is not valid. Am I missing something?

Thanks

tkt1.png
The text at that HD link:
tkt2.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It would certainly appear to me that they have. I'm not quite sure how an accredited site would have done that, as the implemented restrictions directly reflect the text when you check brfares.com.

Were you paying yourself, the advice may be that you could stand your ground on the fact that a ticket sold against an itinerary is valid even if issued wrongly.

However no way would I take the chance of the hassle and stress that might cause on behalf of someone else, so I'd contact your corporate travel agent and ask them to correct the error urgently.

swaldman

It would certainly appear to me that they have. I'm not quite sure how an accredited site would have done that, as the implemented restrictions directly reflect the text when you check brfares.com.

Were you paying yourself, the advice may be that you could stand your ground on the fact that a ticket sold against an itinerary is valid even if issued wrongly.

However no way would I take the chance of the hassle and stress that might cause on behalf of someone else, so I'd contact your corporate travel agent and ask them to correct the error urgently.
Thanks. I shall throw it back at them and see what happens ;)

CyrusWuff

Established Member
15th June is a Thursday.
Good point. That's the trouble with shift work. The days tend to blur into one!

Doing some digging, there appears to have been an oversight when HT last updated their restrictions, such that there was no restriction between 2nd June and 12th September.

This has since been rectified, but tickets already purchased against an itinerary - such as this one - should be honoured, as it's not the OP's fault.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This has since been rectified, but tickets already purchased against an itinerary - such as this one - should be honoured, as it's not the OP's fault.

Thanks.

I'd take that chance for myself, but not for business purposes. OK, the only "penalty" is an excess but it could be a faff to claim it back.

swaldman

Update: My employer asked their travel agent, who asked thetrainline.com. The word came back down the chain that it was OK. I have no idea how or why, but that was what they said.

Tickets were not checked on the train (perhaps due to overcrowding), so we'll never find out if they were right!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was valid at the time of issue, and you had an itinerary which is evidence of a contractual entitlement to travel.

Therefore Hull Trains are not permitted to charge the excess (which would be £28) on this occasion.

However a passenger who bought the same ticket today would have been unable to obtain such an itinerary and would have been liable to pay the excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.