• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption at Glasgow Central this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerheid

Established Member
Over the last week I've tried, with varying degrees of success, to travel from Glasgow to Ayrshire a few times.

There has been disruption to services (or a similar nature) and a broadly similar emergency timetable effectively every day.

Initially the disruption was blamed on a points failure, then multiple signal failures, then an unspecified problem with Shields Junction, and today on rolling stock shortages.

Does anyone know exactly what is actually going on?

Also, on one of the trips the train was shown as delayed at Central, then disappeared off the departure boards at the time it should have left with no announcement. I walked round the station to look for it, and found it (though it was a suspiciously empty train for peak time). Does this sort of thing happen often? Is it because of a lack of human intervention in whatever operated the departure boards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I know they had big problems with the platform infrastructure works over the weekend (resulting in an acquaintance having to work through the night on Boxing Day night- he wasn't happy). However, I'm guessing from your description this wouldn't be the direct cause of your issues.

StewieG

The snow has caused HUGE disruption over the last couple of days up there... Dunno about the rest of the week though...

djw1981

Established Member
cl334 sucked in snow in ayrshire and got wet, Cl314 / 318 have been substituting on ayrshire routes, cl 334 restricted to Argyle/North Clyde/Cathcart lines and depot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
there wer also issues with points freezing and ice in points and NR having fewer teams on the ground to clear it.

gingerheid

Established Member
Problem with the 334s makes sense; I noticed everything I did get was a 31X, and I also noticed that the snow was nice and powdery and kicked up a lovely snowy dust around the train when it was at top speed.

I felt there had to be more to it than bad weather, because really, it's not been that bad and certainly not *every* day!

Status
Not open for further replies.